Rhinoplasty with Gore-tex and Ear Cartilage

My question focused on the material I plan to use for my nose Rhinoplasty. If I were to use ear cartilage for my tip and gore-tex for my nose bridge, what are the risk (for ex. 3% of revision) I would like to hear your personal stories of using Gore-tex.

So far, it seems like I should avoid gore-tex but there are success stories. I'm trying to make peace with the risk of placing Gore-tex in my body unless it's going to cause me cancer or destroy my nose forever.

Gortex and ear cartilage grafts in Rhinoplasty

+1

Conchal ear cartilage is my material of choice for nasal tips, Gortex used anywhere in the nose, not ever.  I wrote a scientific paper back in the mid to late 90's reporting cases of Gortex becoming infected, 5-7 years after it was used to shape the nasal tip and bridge.  I've never used it since and instead prefer silastic dorsal implants when the bridge needs to be raised or re-built.

Uae of Gore-Tex in Dorsal Augmentation in Rhinoplasty

+1

Gore-tex is a perfectly reasonable option for dorsal augmentation...provided it is not be asked to do too much. Provided your nasal tissues are healthy, the material should do fairly well over time provided that the overlying nasal skin is not stretched too much or under excessive tension. While I always prefer your own tissues for any augmentation or support in the nose, that is not always possible for every patient. Gore-tex is a soft material and does not have any sharp edges which helps make it well tolerated in the nose with good surgical technique and placement.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Rhinoplasty with Gortex and Ear Cartilage

+1

Gortex will not cause cancer  or destroy your nose. Having said that, I prefer to use the patient's own tissue whenever possible.

Nasal augmentation materials

+1
I imagine you are having an Asian nose augmented. The material used is less of an issue than the experience and skills of your surgeon. I have used Gore-Tex on occasion for about 25 years. I actually prefer preformed silicone implants for the dorsum. I have had few problems with either of these materials. As far as Gore-Tex causing cancer, I would refer to the long safety record of this material implanted in the body for heart an blood vessel surgery for many many years. If your surgeon has a record of consistent good long term results, you should go along with his choice of materials.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Goretex for rhinoplasty, avoid if possible

+1

Goretex is useful in rhinoplasty to smooth areas of cartilage and bone that have been sculpted in thin skinned individuals to prevent palpable and visible irregularities. In mine and other rhinoplasty surgeons' experience, using goretex in the lower third of the nose (the tip) is sometimes complicated by infection and extrusion. Complications may take months to years to develop. For this reason, I rarely use Goretex for rhinoplasty now and recommend using cartilage from the patient's septum, ear or rib instead.

Edmund Fisher, MD
Bakersfield Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

No horror stories about gortex but I prefer autologous tissues and preferrably cartilage  graft for nasl reshaping.

Erel Laufer, MD