Natural Looking Rhinoplasty for the Ethnic Nose?

I am concerned about the appearance of my nose when viewed from the front. I want a more refined nose looking to refine the tip and make the bridge in harmony with the tip if that means building up the bridge but I want it to look natural? Also,i heard septal cartilage is ideal for the dorsum then ear or rib but is there a possibility of revision in the future or result is lifetime. Also, my nose flares when smiling judging from the photo do i need nostril reduction. I want to hear assestment?

Raising the Bridge in Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+3

Rhinoplasty for patients from certain ethic groups, in particular Asian patients, involves augmentation of the bridge of the nose and refinement of the tip. This can be accomplished with the use of cartilage grafts taken from the septum, the ear(s) or from the rib. Synthetic implants are used by some surgeons as well. The choice of how to augment the bridge is based on the amount of septal cartilage available and the degree to which the bridge needs to be raised. Refinement of the tip can be performed by reshaping the underlying cartilages of the tip and increasing tip projection with placement of a shield graft or columellar strut. Often this increase in tip projection can restore better balance to the tip and the narrowing of the nostrils may not be needed. 

In your case, it would be helpful to see additional views of your nose, particularly your profile views. Additionally, i would recommend computer imaging during your consultation, so that you can relay to your surgeon the degree to which you want your bridge augmented and the tip/nostrils refined. This computer imaging process also allows the surgeon to illustrate to you which changes are realistic and could be achieved given your particular anatomy. Best of luck!

Regards,

Dr. Mehta

Web reference: http://www.mehtaplasticsurgery.com/rhinoplasty/

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Augmentation rhinoplasty

+2

Augmentation rhinoplasty is best done with autologous tissue (meaning your own tissue, namely cartilage). Septal cartilage is ideal, if enough present.  The rest of the nose can also be refined to match the nose dorsum.  As far as nostril reduction, I don't usually recommend during primary rhinoplasty.

Dr Taban

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Natural looking Asian rhinoplasty

+1

A number of changes will improve the appearance of your nose, including building up your bridge and increasing the refinement of the tip of your nose.  The cartilage source depends on the degree of augmentation you desire, which can be determined with your surgeon using computer-imaging.  

How to get natural augmentation rhinoplasty

+1

An augmentation rhinoplasty could improve the projection of the bridge while other manuevers can be done at the same time to improve tip definition.

I prefer using your own cartilage. Depending on how much septal cartilage one could harvest you may need rib cartilage.

The good news is that in experienced hands cartilage grafts can provide a lifelong result.

Web reference: http://www.drlamperti.com/facial-plastic-surgery/ethnic-rhinoplasty

Rhinoplasty for Ethnic Nose

+1
I do feel that to reduce the flatness of your nose, building up the dorsum would be aesthetically helpful.  My favorite way to do this is with GoreTex┬«, which I like because it fit in well and does not change in shape or resorb, it is convenient to obtain, and I have almost 20 years experience in using it on easily over 150 procedures without any complications.  The narrowing of the tip, with refining it and likely increasing its projection, could all be done at the same time.

Web reference: http://www.southfloridarhinoplasty.com/african-and-caribbean-ethnic-rhinoplasty.html

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

ETHNIC RHINOPLASTY - WHAT CAN BE DONE?

+1

It appears that a dorsal augmentation may improve the appearance of the nose. Depending upon the amount of build up necessary you may have a sufficient amount of septal cartilage to accomplish the task.  Ear cartilage can be used too but is definitely more difficult to use since it is not straight. Before going to rib cartilage I would use a custom milled dorsal nasal implant. It avoids needing to operate on the ear or rib and avoids the complications associated with surgery of these sites. If it is situated properly the risk of infection and exposure is minimal. As for the flaring of the nostrils - this could be addressed by nostril reduction or simple suture approximation of the nostrils which is performed through small intranasal sutures. Best of Luck

What is ethnic rhinoplasty

+1

In the past, our culture’s popular conception of beauty was very narrow and was focused on Caucasian features. Now, both patients and surgeons have come to conclusion that various ethnic features and facial characteristics can be valued and considered to be beautiful. Since nose is a focal point of a person’s face, many people with strong nasal features feel very self-conscious about the shape of their noses. Ethnic rhinoplasty is designed to reshape a nose that is cosmetically unattractive or out of balance with the rest of the face. A board certified surgeons that specializes in ethnic rhinoplasty can help you with your nose. A good Rhinoplasty is the one that looks and feels natural. 

Web reference: http://www.galleryofcosmeticsurgery.com/face-procudures/rhinoplasty.html

Harmony in Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+1

The key to having a natural result in an Ethic Rhinoplasty like yours is shape/augment your nasal dorsum in harmony with your nasal tip so you don't lose your ethnicity .   The role of using your own cartilage is important having a good long term result.   Whether you choose to use septum, ear or rib will depend you what you have present by physical exam, your preference as well as your experienced Rhinoplasty surgeon.  Choose your surgeon based upon experience and expertise in the management of the Ethic Nose as this is quite different from a Primary Rhinoplasty .

Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+1

On the basis of one photograph, it does appear that you basically need augmentation rhinoplasty. Depending on the quantity of cartilage needed, in descending order of preference, I harvest from the septum, ear, or rib. The  tip and nasal base need refinement. The most difficult assessment will be done by you - selecting an experienced surgeon whose results you like.

Ethnic rhinoplasty augmentation

+1

From the one provided view, it appears that you need augmentation to the dorsum. There is no doubt that structurally, functionally and aesthetically, that septal cartilage would be the best first choice. If insufficient  amount is present, then conchal cartilage and rib cartilage are both viable options. If a large amount of support or volume is needed then the rib cartilage is the best source although there is some risk of warping over time. You do appear to have a wide nostril base that may need to be addressed at the same time as well. I hope this information helps.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon