Is Having Rhinoplasty Safe if You're Pregnant?

What if you're pregnant and you're scheduled to have a Rhinoplasty for a deviated septum, will it be safe to push through with the surgery? I am pregnant and I have asked the doctor to do surgery on my deviated septum. Will the surgeon be able to operate on my nose?

Rhinoplasty During Pregnancy is Not Advised

As a general rule of thumb, I advise my patients to wait until after their pregnancy to consult a physician and go through with having a nose job. Because the surgery involves anesthesia, it can be unsafe to subject your unborn baby to the stresses and medications that a rhinoplasty procedure requires. A good, informed doctor is aware of this and will refuse to operate on an expecting mother. 

Rhinoplasty while pregenant

no. elective surgery requiring general anesthesia generally should be postoponed until after delivery.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

No Chance

Absolutely not. You cannot chance harming your unborn baby – any reputable doctor will deny your surgery. Enjoy your pregnancy and plan on your surgery after you have given birth.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Elective surgery is inappropriate during pregnancy

There is no reason to undergo deviated septum repair while pregnant and every reason not to. I know of no surgeon who would knowingly perform such a procedure on a pregnant woman. The pregnancy counter indicates any non emergent or lifesaving procedure.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Not safe.

No. It is an absolute contraindication to have general anesthesia and rhinoplasty if you are pregnant. Do not undergo any cosmetic surgery while pregnant as it endangers the health of your baby.

A favorite John McEnroe quotation comes to mind...

To quote the legendary tennis star, John McEnroe, "You cannot be serious!" ;-)

Just to add to the universal agreement of my colleagues: do NOT have elective cosmetic surgery while you're pregnant.

If you find a surgeon who's comfortable with the idea of doing a septoplasty or rhinoplasty while you're pregnant, run away as fast as you can. In the meantime, enjoy your pregnancy and best of luck with the delivery,

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Surgery During Pregnancy

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!  Why  take any chances of possibly injuring your fetus so you can have an elective surgery at your convenience. Schedule your operation after delivery of a healthy baby

No, having rhinoplasty is not safe while you are pregnant. No elective procedures should be performed while you are pregnant or lactating. The procedure, along with anesthesia, could put you and your baby at risk. There are a lot of things such as medications that you should avoid while pregnant. Discuss any concerns with your OB or Plastic Surgeon.

Best regards,

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Rhinoplasty cannot be performed if you're pregnant.

You're likely going to have to push the baby out before you "push through with the surgery". You could put your unborn child at risk with an elective surgery while you're pregnant.

If you're experiencing a stuffy nose (rhinitis of pregnancy), you should see a certified ENT for evaluation and treatment.

Good luck, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Elective surgery during pregnancy is a no, no

There may be procedures that have to be done during pregnancy but if at all possible you should put off any procedure that can be done later.  You and your baby will be better off if you do the procedure after your pregnancy.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon