Rhinoplasty Post Surgery Tips for a Male?

I am a 20 year old male and I am about to have a rhinoplasty in a couple days. 1) I know this is general, but do you have any tips to make the recovery as smooth as possible? 2) Since I can't work out for 3+ weeks, what do you recommend I do to avoid putting on fat and still have my muscle? 3) I will be going back to college a week after surgery. After one week, what will my nose look like? 4) Can someone please describe the timeline of a rhinoplasty with swelling ( 1 wk, 2 wks, 1 month)

Recovering from rhinoplasty

+1

I would recommend speaking with your surgeon about his or her specific guidelines, as they may vary from surgeon to surgeon. After one week, you will still be significantly swollen. The patient will wear a hard cast the first week, followed by brown paper tape the second week. It is best to take it easy the first week and gradually increase your activity after that. The swelling will be 70% resolved after the first three months, and the remainder will go down over time. Your swelling will be most visible during the first month. Overall, the final result is not evident for 18-24 months after surgery. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with your procedure.

Web reference: http://www.rhinoplastyspecialist.com/

Typical questions about recovery from a rhinoplasty should be answered by your surgeon.

+1

The questions that you've asked her very common. The answers are variable depending on the patient, the type of operation the surgeon performs, in the philosophy of the surgeon. He should be able to address these thoroughly with you.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,25-atlanta-rhinoplasty.htm

Going Back to School One Week after Rhinoplasty

+1

Most rhinoplasty surgeons have some idea of how long a particular patient is going to swell depending upon maneuvers employed and certain patient characteristics.  Some patients will look very reasonable after 2 weeks or so, but a lot of this is not entirely predictable.  However, your surgeon is a much better source.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Rhinoplasty.php

Rhinoplasty recovery

+1

To be honest with you, you should ask your surgeon these questions, as he or she has the most knowledge as to your particular procedure and would be able to give you precise answers.  I can give you general answers, but again they may not apply to your particular case.  In the immediate recovery period after rhinoplasty, it is helpful to avoid exertion and to keep your head elevated above your heart.  Ice is sometimes recommended, depending on what was done during the procedure.  In regards to exercise, walking is usually allowed, but you should not perform any exercise that may elevate your blood pressure or heart rate, as this may cause bleeding.  One week after the procedure, there would most likely still be some swelling and it's possible there could be some bruising.  It normally can take 6-12 months, and sometimes longer, for the swelling to resolve completely.  

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon