I Have Just Had Open Rhinoplasty and my Splint Was Removed Yesterday After 7 Days. Normal?

My nose was broken during the procedure and a lot of work was done to the tip, that was very pronounced / protruding before. Since removing the splint, the bruising isn't that bad & the swelling on the bridge of the nose is ok. However, the tip is still very swollen and a big piggy like still (although this has decreased very slightly over past week) but it literally looks like I am wearing a fake tip on my nose - is this normal? Will cold ice etc help to bring this down? how long will it last?

+2

It is way, way, way too early for you to be very worried about how things are going to look. It is completely normal for you to have the swelling you describe 7 days out. The splint actually applies compression and decreases the swelling and when it is removed you swell even more. It can take up to one year for ALL of your swelling to resolve, but you should see most of it go down int the first 8-12 weeks. So yes, it is normal, give it time, and I am sure you will ultimately be very happy.

Swollen Nasal Tip After Rhinoplasty

+2

Dear Sarah,

Swollen nasal tip is common after rhinoplasty. But without photos and physical examination, it is hard to assess your current status. 

Usually, it takes about 3 months for 40-50% of the swelling to subside.

I recommend that you follow your surgeon's instructions, sleep upright at 30 degrees angle and control your daily salt intake.

Applying ice after couple of days from the surgery will not be beneficial to decrease the swelling you have currently.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Swelling after open rhinoplasty

+2

Swelling can be a lot more severe after OPEN rhinoplasty.  This is due to the slower nature of venous and lymphatic drainage.  Cold  application will not help after the first 48 hours.  The best you can due is stay as elevated as possible for as long as possible.  Patience is a virtue.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

drraine.com

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Swollen Tip After Rhinoplasty

+2

A swollen and hard tip is very common after rhinoplasty. It takes up to nine months for swelling to resolve in the nose, and up to one year for a full recovery. At seven days you have nothing to worry about. If you are concerned with your results, be sure to talk with your surgeon.

Jaime Perez, MD
Rhinoplasty Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Swelling is very normal 7 days after open rhinoplasty

+1

Thank you for your question. Please do not be concerned about swelling of the nasal tip 7 days after rhinoplasty. Over the next 6 weeks the tip swelling shouldbut you will not see the final shape and narrowness of your until probably 1 year postop

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS