Possible to Have Rhinoplasty for Patient on Accutane for a Month?

I've only been on Accutane for about a month (since January 13th). If I stop now, is it safe for me to get a Rhinoplasty on April 6th?

Rhinoplasty is an elective procedure

+2

Accutane is an extremely powerful medication that will decrease your body's ability to heal incisions appropriately. Although many of the surgical trauma your nose will sustain during rhinoplasty will take place below the skin and deep to the areas of the skin that Accutane has its most profound effects, I would highly suggest waiting at least nine months prior to having your rhinoplasty to prevent any potential complications with healing.

Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty after Accutane Therapy

+1

There is no absolute time to wait for surgery after accutane therapy. However , we conservatively recommend about 6 months. I assume you are a young individual if you're taking accutane; why take any chances when having surgery that will last the rest of your life.

Rhinoplasty one month after Accutane discontinuation

+1

It is probably safe to go ahead and have a rhinoplasty if you have been off Accutane for one month. There should not be any problems with healing since the incisions are all usually placed on the inside of the nose with closed rhinoplasty.

Accutane is not OK with Rhinoplasty

+1

Accutane effects the healing ability of skin. Since rhinoplasty is an elective procedure, there is no justification for taking the risk of poor healing. I would stop Accutane for one year before undergoing a rhinoplasty.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Possible to have Rhinoplasty for patient on Accutane for a month

+1

I disagree with Dr Mayer for the first time. I would not do open or closed rhinoplasty for at least 9 months due to scarring issues. 

Rhinoplasty after Accutane.

+1

It would probably be ok if you are having it done closed since you have only been on this for less than a month. If it would be done open I would wait 3 months if the skin has gone back to normal.