Better to Approach Nostril Narrowing from Outside or Inside?

I will be getting rhinoplasty with only cartilage reshape and nostril narrowing. The dr approach for nostril narrowing is from the outside. i am concerned - isn't it better from the inside. also when pressing on the sides of my nose my moustache area becomes pronounced, will that happen with surgery?

Better to approach nostril narrowing from inside

+1

It is always better to have the alar base resections performed on the inside of the nose rather than the outside alar because they are much less noticeable.

Nostril Narrowing from Inside or Out

+1

Every surgeon has their own techniques for nostril narrowing. I, like many, use both approaches depending on the needs of each patient. If you trust your surgeon to operate on you, don't second guess his/her techniques. For reassurance look at pictures of the surgeon's  results.

Nose Nasal nostril reduction

+1

The vast majority of surgeons will achieve nostril narrowing from the outside as this is the most reliable technique to achieve consistent results. It is not likely to effect the appearance of your nose.

There are different approaches for narrowing your nostrils during Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

For over 10 years, I've narrowed nostrils exclusively utilizing a conservative excision of the nasal sill during Rhinoplasty Surgery. This leaves two small, imperceptible scars on the alar base:one on each side of the columella-incision.

The limitation in this approach is when you have excessively wide nostrils up where they meet your nasal sidewalls.

I hope you find this helpful.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon