Hardness on Nose Tip After Rhinoplasty

I had a Rhinoplasty done for my nose tip, most healing is done but my tip still feels very firm, I can't really push the tip upward. My nose still gets swollen every morning when I wake up and start to diminish throughout the day but some swelling still remains. Could this be scar tissue, and how would I know if it was? How would it feel to touch? Could I still be swollen and healing 1 year and 7 months later?

Firmness of the nasal tip

+2

Firmness of the nasal tip at 1 year and 7 months after rhinoplasty surgery is probably just scar tissue. It could also be tip grafts and a columella strut that are both usually made from cartilage.  These can also cause firmness.

Swelling and firmness of nasal tip

+2

Yes, it is still healing. Periodic swelling is common especially in the morning when you have been lying down all night.

Firmness is part of the healing froms scar tissue. Keep in mind all surgeries and injuries heal with scar formation and it is a normal process.

If your tip looks good, then do not worry about how it feels. Remember the surgery was done for improving the look of the tip, not the feel of it.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Firm nasal tip not unusual

+1

Hi,

Firmness in your nasal tip may be secondary to scar tissue or to cartilage grafts which may have been placed at the time of surgery to reshape the tip. Your surgeon would be able to answer whether or not you had such grafts placed. In terms of your swelling, it would be unusual to have any significant swelling 1 1/2 years after surgery. However, the length of time that swelling lasts is variable from patient to patient, and is dependent upon not only the surgery that was done but also the skin quality. For example, a man of Mid Eastern descent who had an open rhinoplasty (an incision was made on the columella) with grafts will have significantly prolonged swelling in comparison to a Caucasian woman who had a closed rhinoplasty without grafts. Your swelling should continue to come down with time, but if you have concerns you should speak to your surgeon. Hopefully you are happy with the appearance of your nose, which will make your continued patience worthwhile. Good luck.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

No significant surgical swelling 19 months after rhinoplasty

+1

You shouldn't have any significant swelling this far out from rhinoplasty assuming you had a normal postoperative course. As long as the shape of your nose looks good, the feel may continue to evolve very slightly over the next few months. It's not clear why you are having daily swelling.

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Nasal swelling 1.5 years after Rhinoplasty.

+1

There should be no appreciable swelling in your nose this long after Rhinoplasty. I'm not sure why your tip swells every morning, and gets better by the end of the day. Is there swelling of your eyelids in the morning? Are you retaining fluid, so your ankles are swollen at the end of the day?

Something unusual is going on, and you should consult your surgeon about these concerns. Did you have a graft like silastic or Gore-Tex placed at the time of surgery?

Good luck, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

One year and 7 months after rhinoplasty, it is not swelling.

+1

Hi!

I am afraid that what you have now is what you are going to keep.  It is too late for swelling to still be an issue.  But you don't say anything about looking bad.  If you like the way you look, don't worry about the firmness.  It probably is internal scar tissue, but it is not harmful.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)