Nose Reshaping for Wide Nostrils?

My nose from the top, but slightly wide from the nostrils. My family advised me not to do any kind of surgery, but few friends sometimes insult me for that. Should I go for a nose reshaping procedure or not? I want a straight and slim nose without the wide appearance from the nostrils. Can this be achieved with Rhinoplasty?

Reshaping Nostrils

+1

Reshaping  or reducing the contour and size of the nose is the purpose of cosmetic rhinoplasty. You should make your decision on the basis of your desires, not the feelings of your family. The nostrils can be narrowed if that is your primary concern.

Narrowing the Nose with Rhinoplasty

+1

Rhinoplasty can effectively narrow the nose. The surgical technique that is used will depend on the area that is wide.

• For wide nasal bones, the boney bridge can be narrowed but surgically cutting or breaking the nasal bones (called osteotomies) and repositioning the bone inward.
  • For a wide mid-portion of the bridge, the cartilage can be trimmed.
  • For a wide tip, the tip can be reshaped.
  • For a wide nostril base, the nostril sidewalls can be narrowed by and alar base resection.

Alar base reduction involves making an incision in the crease formed where the nostrils meet the cheeks. A wedge of tissue is removed, and the incision closed. This can both reduce the amount of nostril flaring or narrow the width of the nostril base.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nostrils can be narrowed by a relatively simple procedure

+1

At times we must consider narrowing the nostrils when doing a rhinoplasty. This involves a separate incision along the junction of the nostril and the cheek. Usually these incisions are imperceptible after a month or two. I probably narrow the nostrils in only 1 of every 15-20 rhinoplasties that I perform and most of the time I try to do it as a secondary procedure.

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon