How Much Would a Small Implant for Nose Tip Cost?

After years of staring at my profile in the mirror I have come to the conclusion that what I need is not surgery to remove a bump in my bridge, but a small implant at the tip of my nose to make it turn up instead of down, like it does now, causing it to look as though I have a bump, when really I don't. I would like something more permanent than a filler.

You do not necessarily need an implant

+2

Dear Morgan,

While we only have one view, based on the picture I think you are correct in wanting to simply increase your projection a little; though it may help to bring the bridge down very slightly. As we age, we lose some tip support and for some as the tip drops an apparent bump appears--you may notice this simply by looking at grandparents and seeing pictures of them when they were younger without the bump.

You are correct in thinking that perhaps a simple tip graft may be all you need, but there are other options for increasing tip projection without using grafts (that can sometimes cause problems long term). There are suture techniques that can shape your own natural cartilage so that you get increased projection. I would not go to someone who simply suggests taking a piece of cartilage and simply stuffing it over the tip as in time yo may encounter real problems with that approach.

Finally, since we have a niche rhinoplasty/revision rhinoplasty practice, my strongest advice would be to go to a facial plastic surgeon/ general plastic surgeon who does a lot of rhinoplasty and try not to have cost be the over riding factor. Not that you have to go with the most expensive by any means, but in the long run I think the time, money and emotional investment that can come with having to go through revision is far outweighed by going to someone who does it right the first time.

Tip Imlant

+1

We may be simply dealing with semantics, so let me clarify the terms we're using. An implant usually refers to synthetic material such as silicone. A graft is made from your own tissue. To increase tip projection, most surgeons would use a graft for the tip-plasty. Although you've provided only one picture, I think your diagnosis is relatively accurate.

Best to use patient's own cartilage

+1

It is not a good idea to have any synthetic implants placed inside the nose. It is always best to have an implant made of the patient’s own cartilage and not a synthetic material. A synthetic implant can get infected and have to be removed and are just not used for the tip. It is always critically important to use the patient’s own cartilage before even contemplating a synthetic implant.

Visit with a rhinoplasty surgeon

+1

I am glad to see you have been considering your nose for years, so you can feel comfortable with the changes you want to achieve. However, the solution you have come up with would not work well - historically synthetic grafts on the tip are prone to failure. Some surgeons (especially in Asia) do use silicone implants for dorsal augmentation, but the best long term maintenance of results are definitely achieved by using your own tissues. To augment and refine your tip, a formal rhinoplasty is more appropriate than any implant. Have a consult with a rhinoplasty surgeon and discuss your goals, and listen to his/her solution to your request as well as the logic behind their thoughts.
Good luck! I wish you the best.

Web reference: http://www.drmichaelbogdan.com/plastic-surgery/rhinoplasty.cfm

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.