Second Rhinoplasty for Correcting Nose Hump?

I went to a surgeon to get rid of a hump. He said he was going to do closed Rhinoplasty to rasp the bone. On the day of surgery, he changed it to open Rhinoplasty. I still have a hump. A week post op, he said it was swelling. A month post op, he confirmed it was bone. He gave me silicon injection, and wants to give me 2 more, which he said will remove the hump. Can he do a closed Rhinoplasty and rasp what was left? Should he charge me again? How should I handle my situation?

Hump removal can be done through closed technique

+2

With respect to the hump removal, this can be easily done through a closed technique. Any residual cartilage or bony bumps can be shaved down quite easily. Silicone injections are not recommended and are not FDA-approved. A closed rhinoplasty should be performed at least a year after the original procedure. Any residual fees related to the surgery should usually only include coverage for anesthesia and the operating room.

Be patient after Rhinoplasty

+1

I strongly agree with the other physicians that :

1) You should not receive silicone injections, and

2) You should wait at least several more months before making any decisions.

Many small irregularities in the nose may change for many months. It is usually best to wait at least 6 months after surgery before any revision is considered. Rhinoplasties can be done either open or closed and the problem to be fixed as well as the surgeons experience usually dictate which way is best.

Dean Fardo, MD

Wait longer before second Rhinoplasty

+1

Having swelling after surgery even if it feels like cartilage or bone is universal after Rhinoplasty. I would never recommend injecting silicone into any part of the body. If it was blatantly obvious that there is too much bone or cartilage and that is the only problem, an endonasal "closed" rhinoplasty is usually all you would need to correct the problem. However, if the swelling were minimal, I would wait 4-6 months before considering any revision procedure. It may just resolve with time.

Samson Lee, MD

If it is a boney bump wait - don't use fillers

+1

If it is truly a bony hump you need to wait until all of the swelling is gone ( about 6 months post op) and then a simple rasping might fix the problem. I do not like to inject silicone into a nose - it is permanent and can only cause more problems than it fixes. See a well qualified board certified, experienced plastic surgeon to get a second opinion.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Don't do anything for 4 months, and get another opinion.

+1

Hi!

Avoid injections.  It sounds like you may need a revision in a few months.  It also sounds like your surgeon has not retained your trust, or explained what is going on.  Go elsewhere.  See link below for a name.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Sounds like you need repeat Rhinoplasty

+1

Not having seen your nose before and after, it sounds like you need some more surgery. At this point open or closed doesn't matter as you have the external scar already. I would go with surgery rather than the silicone injections. The finances are between you and your surgeon.

G. Gregory Gallico III, MD

Hump after rhinoplasty

+1

A post-operative hump can usually be removed very easily with a rasping in the office as long as it is truly a hump. If your doctor is filling somewhere to improve the nose it may be a situation where not enough was added to an area or too much was taken off. Regarding the charge that is something you will have to work out with your doctor. Regarding silicon injection into the nose, I would strongly advise you to not have any more. Permanent fillers are a bad idea especially in the nose. They are fraught with long term complications that are very difficult to deal with.

Edward Buckingham, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon