How Long After Rhinoplasty Will Bump Go Down?

I had Rhinoplasty to remove hump on my nose and to make the tip of my nose smaller. I still have a small bump. The doctor said it should go down but he looked very unsure. How long will it take for the bump to go down?

Residual Dorsal Hump After Rhinoplasty

+1

Following a hump removal during rhinoplasty, it is very common for there to be excessive swelling of overlying the area where the boney hump was removed.

If the bone was adequately reduced, that bump should disappear as the swelling subsides over the first several months. If the hump persists beyond the first several months, it may indicate that the hump was not entirely reduced during the surgery.

Most surgeons recommend waiting a full year after a rhinoplasty before making any deteriminations as to whether a revision is needed. In some cases it can take the full 12 months for all of the swelling to subside.

Reduction of the residual hump can easily be performed with further rasping (filing down) of the hump through intranasal incsisions. There is usually minimal downtime and minimal bruising and swelling.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

If your nose bump is there at 3 months, it is probably permanent.

+1

Hi!

If it is has been 3 months  or more since your rhinoplasty, the bump will probably not go away.  So you either live with it, or wait a year  and have a secondary rhinoplasty.  I know this is not what you wanted to hear.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

It may vary from person to person

+1

You did not say how long after your surgery it has been. Sometimes the swelling of the overlying skin and scarring can produce a fullness that appears to be a residual hump. This may take several weeks to come down and may vary throughout the day. Give yourself 4 to 6 weeks minimum and up to 2 to 3 months at most. Although most surgeons wait 6 to 12 months for a final result, if what you wanted removed ts still there, speak to your surgeon about your concerns. You can always seek a second opinion.

Ricardo Izquierdo, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon