Growing Bump on Bridge After Rhinoplasty

I had Rhinoplasty about two weeks ago. I had a broken nose for years and with a huge bump. After the surgery, I noticed that a small bump was growing on the bridge of my nose. When I told my doctor, he said that I should press down on it for a minute 10 times a day. He also mentioned that the bump will keep growing, and if the bump persists he can perform procedures in the office that will make it go down.

What kind of procedures could he do? I am afraid that I will alter the shape of my nose, or make it wider. Would I need a second surgery? What can I do to prevent the bump from increasing? Every time I add pressure to my nose it hurts and my nose gets even more swollen. Please help me. What can I do? I don't want another bump on my nose. Please help.

Bump 2 Weeks After Rhinoplasty Too Early To Worry

+3

Thank you for your question. It is very common to have bumps at two weeks after Rhinoplasty.

Follow your surgeons advice regarding massage. Bumps should improve with time. If not revision is simple.

Bump after Rhinoplasty

+2

It is not unusual to have contour irregularities after rhinoplasty. Swelling does not resolve uniformly, causing the appearance of asymmetry or a bump. Your surgeon is obviously treating the problem, recommending massage Be gentie with the massage. He may use steroid injections at a later time. It is extremely , follow your surgeon's recommendations.

Bump after Rhinoplasty should be okay

+2

I recently had a patient who I reduced the bump on the nose for. She had swelling for about two weeks and then it went away.

If the main problem was a bump on the nose before surgery, chances are that a lot of work was done in surgery to reduce it. Thus, there will be a lot of swelling. Even though the bump may have been reduced, the skin over it needs time to shrink down and conform to the new contour. In the meantime, swelling will be present and will appear as a "bump".

It is too early to talk about what other procedures can be done because you most likely will not need any.

Rest assured. Based on what you have described, it should be fine. It will take several weeks or months for all of the swelling to go down.

John Diaz, MD

Rhinoplasty - bump on nose

+1

At 2 weeks, your nose is still very swollen.  Please be patient!  Over the next few months the swelling will continue to go down.  Sometimes if scar tissue forms where the bump was taken down, steroids can be injected to take down the swelling - that was probably what your surgeon meant by the office procedure.  Regardless, I would give yourself a few months to let the nose settle into its final shape before you start to worry.  And as always, continue having open discussions about your concerns with your surgeon.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

Bump likely swelling

+1

Paralelo,

Bumps on the bridge of the nose after rhinoplasty is not uncommon. Early bumps, which may last months, is due to swelling of the nasal tissues (skin, muscle, and periosteum). Bumps that persist beyond a year may represent additional bone and/or cartilage that won't go away on its own. Patients with very large bumps usually have the most swelling. Large bumps or individuals with a history of traumatic facial injuries may require more than one operation to create a smooth, straight profile.

Small bumps that develop after cosmetic nasal surgery usually go away. Gently pressure and massage may be appropriate. Pressure that is too forceful may shift and move the nasal bones and cartilage. Steroid injection under the skin may be required to help control swelling and edema.

Much less common causes of bumps on the nose immediately after cosmetic rhinoplastic surgery is a blood clot (hematoma) or infection. These are readily apparent and treated by your surgeon.

Speak to your plastic surgeon if you have concerns about swelling after nose job surgery.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon