Possible to Have Rhinoplasty on Bridge Without Breaking Bone?

Any Rhinoplasty for nose bridge only? without breaking bone? i'm an Asian, as you might know, some of the asian nose bridge are not high/tall. im interested to know is it able to raise my nose bridge w/o breaking my nose bridge? and, is there any better treatment for only raising my nose bridge? those which are permanent and wont break my nose.... any suggestion? and i saw 1 article on the net, which that author says people who do anything on nose bridge, surely need to break the bone, is that true? i hope you all can clarify me....

Breaking nasal bones usually contraindicated in Asian patients

+1

The typical Asian nose has a wide tip and a low bridge.  Building up the bridge with an onlay graft will make it look narrower but the tip will still be wide.  It can be made narrow by increasing the tip projection or taking in the sides of the nostrils.  However the onlay graft does a better job of narrowing the bridge than these procedures do in narrowing the nostril base.  For the face to be attractive it should have all its parts in harmony and balance.  

There is no reason to break the bones unless it is intended to narrow them.  Narrowing the bones with  the nostril base still wide will cause it to look out of balance (like an up-side-down mushroom). That is why I don't break the bone in most of the Asian patients on whom I perform Rhinoplasty.

Rhinoplasty on bridge

+1

Yes it is possible to augment your dorsum without breaking the bones. For this, I would typically use diced cartilage and fascia. Osteotomies (breaking of the nasal bones) are normally performed when one wishes to narrow the nasal bones, or fix an open-roof deformity. Hope this helps answer your question. Thank you and best of luck to you.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Rhinoplasty can improve the contour of the nose without any necessity for osteotomies, or breaking of the nasal bones.

+1

There are two basic approaches to a nose job, and the one chosen should be the best for the individual patient. One can utilize the technique of reduction Rhinoplasty to remove a hump, refine the nasal tip, etc, and sometimes an osteotomy to allow for movement of the nasal bones is important to the operation.

We can also perform an augmentation rhinoplasty to add material to improve the contour of the nose. Material used can be self, or autogenous tissue (cartilage, bone, fat), or non self tissue such as acellular dermal matrix, injectable fillers, etc. The bottom line answer to your question is that breaking the bones can be part of the total Rhinoplasty, but may not be necessary or beneficial in each individual patient. You would need to be evaluated by an experienced nasal surgeon to get an answer for your particular situation.

Michael H. Rosenberg, MD
White Plains Plastic Surgeon

Asian rhinoplasty

+1

In many Asian rhinoplasties, the dorsum needs to be raised. The bones are not usually fractured or broken because most of the time, a dorsal onlay graft will be applied.

Rhinoplasty on bridge without breaking bone

+1

The easy answer is yes it is possible. But for you without photos there is no way to discuss this issue correctly.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

Many Asian rhinoplasties require augmentation of the bridge to improve definition. Breaking the bones to narrow the bridge should also be considered. In consultation discuss all your options including other possible changes so you achieve a pleasing proportional result.

Rhinoplasty can be done without breaking the nasal bones

+1

What you describe is a form of rhinoplasty known as augmentation rhinoplasty as opposed to reduction rhinoplasty. In augmentation rhinoplasty, a graft material such as cartilage, bone, or man made materials (Gortex, silicone, or Medpore) is added on top of the nasal bridge. Another choice is non-surgical injection of filler materials such as Restylane or Radiesse in this area. This last option is not permanent, and would require repeat injections every six months to two years.

Please see the link below for examples of nasal augmentation due to severe dorsal deficiencies.

Maurice M. Khosh, MD

Not all rhinoplasties require breaking nasal bones

+1

Not all rhinoplasties require breaking the nasal bones (osteotomies). Most of the time Asian patients need a nasal implant to build up and augment the nasal bridge.

Asian AUGMENTATION Rhinoplasty (Nose Job)

+1

Controlled breaking of the nose (IE Osteotomies) are done when the nose needs to be reduced (hump taken off) and or narrowed. In most Asians, they desire an augmentation of the dorsum of the nose. In this case a graft (Cartilage, or Rib), a man made implant (Porex, Silicone etc) or fillers may be used to raise the interface between the bone/cartilage of the back of the nose and the covering skin, giving it height. Breaking of the nose is usually not needed in such cases.

Asian rhinoplasty will benefit from fracture (osteotomy)

+1

Understanding ethnic variation in nasal shaping is quite important and it is true that most often there is a desire to raise the bridge of the nose in those with Asian features. The nasal bones typically are flat and the base of the bridge is broad and we find it helpful to create fractures along the side of the nose called osteotomies in order to narrow the base and improve the apparent height of the nasal bridge. The fracture will help blend the height of the bridge gained by use of a graft or implant. It may be possible to see a nice result without the fracture, though I see no reason to avoid one if it will give the best result.

peterejohnsonmd