Is Rhinoplasty Necessary for Minor Bridge Work?

I have been considering getting my nose done since I was 12 (I'm 19 BTW), (not a whole lot just some minor bridge work, because I have a small bump that bothers me). Do I really need it?

Rhinoplasty Results

+2

It is difficult to see exactly what your nose looks like, but having said that...as the other surgeons have said it is not a matter of need. Nobody needs plastic or cosmetic surgery. It is a matter of wanting and desire to make your nose look like the way you would like it to look....smoother dorsum (getting rid of the bump)

Having said that, it all depends on what you want addressed. But a big bump or little bump, it still is surgery and has recovery that comes with it.

Make sure when you do your research and pick a plastic surgeon that it is a board certified plastic surgeon.

You can change the way you look through fillers like Restylane and Radiesse

+2

But these solutions are more temporary and last anywhere from 6 months (Restylane) to a year or more (Radiesse). Fat injections are another solution to augment the nose to hide the bump. When I talk about these injections I mean injecting the fillers above and below the bump to hide it better.

A rhinoplasty is essentially any procedure that alters the shape of your nose and that can mean what I just described to the more traditional thought of during a more invasive surgical procedure to change the shape of the nose. A rhinoplasty has been called a nose job or referred to as nose reshaping / shaping, etc. From a more traditional standpoint, taking down a hump will entail making small incisions within the nose to file down the bump.

Sometimes, in order to make the nose appear more normal, you need to cause controlled breaks in the nasal bones to make it close in after the filing takes down the hump. This type of approach is more longer lasting but does take a little while longer to heal versus the filling techniques that I described above.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Changing the appearance of your nose for cosmetic purposes is considered rhinoplasty.

+1

Changing the appearance of your nose for cosmetic purposes is considered rhinoplasty, regardless of whether the change is minor or significant. According to the pictures that have been presented, there is a small bump on the bridge of the nose that can be removed with simple rasping. The photo with your lower blepharoplasty question shows a very wide nasal bridge relative to the width of the face, and osteotomies would be recommended in addition to rasping the nasal bridge, which would be a rhinoplasty.

Rhinoplasty

+1

No one every needs elective surgery.

The decision is does it really bother you that much?  Does it make you miserable?

If it does, than you may benefit from the surgery.

A rhinoplasty will certainly help this hump

+1

Given the single photo you have shown, I think the hump can be addressed quite easily. However, it would be good to see your nose from other angles, so that I could asses if the tip needs any work as well-- often, when one part of the nose if refined, other parts may need to be addressed in order to balance the nose and give you a more natural result.

I would recommend seeing a plastic surgeon and having him give you a complete exam-- this is the best way to determine what type of procedure would suit you best.

Good luck!

Dr. S

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty For Hump Removal Can Make A Dramatic Difference

+1

One of the most common reasons that patients seek rhinoplasty consultations is to learn about dorsal hump reduction.

A dorsal hump is comprised of bone and cartilage. To remove the hump, the rhinoplasty surgeon files down the bone and trims the cartilage to the appropriate height to give the profile the desired contour.

It is possible to correct one isolated problem -- such a a dorsal hump -- without having to change or disrupt other parts of the nose. However, sometimes it is necessary to make small adjustment to other parts of the nose to keep the nose proportional and in balance with the other facial features.

Visit with one or more rhinoplasty surgeons who are board certified in Plastic Surgery or ENT/Facial Plastic Surgery. Most rhinoplasty specialists can use computer imaging to show you how making an isolated change to your bridge would affect the overal appearance of your nose. 3D imaging has recently become available and is a valuable tool for setting preoperative goals (see link below).

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for small bump

+1

A rhinoplasty for a small bump is certainly possible. You have to decide if you want to go through the surgery to achieve the desired result that you want.

Seems that you need a minor rhinoplasty

+1

It seems that you need a minor rhinoplasty to remove the small hump. However, you provided one view picture of your nose. it is necessary to see all standard views of pictures and more important to have an exam and consultation to come up with exact plan. it is important to know if you had any nose surgery or trauma to nose in the past. with just seeing one angle of your nose it is hard to tell. Good luck with your surgery.

M. Ryan Khosravi, MD

Not a matter on need

+1

You only show one view also. That said, a rhinoplasty is simply a name for surgical reshaping of the nose. It can be an entire rhinoplasty or just focus on an area that you don't like, like the bridge. To address the "hump" it must be filed (alternatively, you may opt for fillers to raise the low areas). In any event, the remainder of your nose looks good in the one view, so you may opt to leave those parts alone.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Partial rhinoplasty is possible and may be desirable

+1

Good rhinoplasty should only change or address what need be changed to obtain the result that the surgeon and most importantly the patient expects. This seems such common sense yet was not always the case in the development of nasal shaping. Years ago, rhinoplasty was taught as a series of steps one took to a greater or lessor degree with each and every nasal procedure. In the extreme, it was possible to guess the surgeon by his 'signature' results. Today, we continue to discuss techniques or type of rhinoplasty, though the debate has shifted to nasal aesthetics or what 'looks right', a highly individual proposition.

If you feel that just the bridge of the nose should be reduced, you are not alone. Not too far back, the LA lunch hour rhinoplasy was all the rage, reducing the hump under a local procedure without fractures or other nasal changes. This will work well for some, not so for others. To help understand if this partial or minor rhinoplasty will work for you, computer imaging can help, not to mention an experienced surgeon who will work with you. If simple hump reduction is what fulfills your expectation, there is no need to do more.

peterejohnsonmd