Rhinoplasty: is my Rib Graft Mal Placed or Reabsorbed or Other? I Don't Know What is Going On. (photo)

Have my surgery almost two months ago. my surgeon used rib graft from my rib (there was some bone but majority cartilage) for my bridge and tip. My nose bridge looks bent! Why? Now nose look L-shaped. This was a revision. I can feel the edge of the cartilage end *see pic. My first one was with an implant but the tip was too large and infection. I know I had a dorsal collapse somewhere because my nostrils are uneven size now. Could this be the cause? or is the rib bending by itself? Solution ??

Rhinoplasty: is my Rib Graft Mal Placed or Reabsorbed or Other? I Don't Know What is Going On.

+1

Rib cartilage/bone, banked cartilage/bone and conchal ear cartilage when used on the nasal bridge all have been known to reabsorb unevenly making the nose appear crooked and/or indented.  This is why I use straight silastic dorsal grafts when building up the nasal bridge during Rhinoplasty.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Rib Graft

+1

Lots of excellent comments are noted here on RealSelf: Cartilage can warp, time can heal and future revisions may be performed.  However, good communication with your current surgeon is paramount at this time.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rib Cartilage Warps After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

Unfortunately, your photos are not clear and it is hard to provide you with a solid diagnosis.

Nonetheless, rib cartilage grafts tend to warp if they are not well-positioned during surgery.

So, I recommend that you consult with your surgeon who knows the full details of your surgery and can provide you with a physical exam to unveil the cause behind the current status of your nose.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Web reference: http://www.DrSajjadian.com

Rib Graft Rhinoplasty Healing

+1

The first issue is that you have to be more patient. At just two months after surgery, you do not yet have the final result so it is important to wait until at least six months after your surgery. The rib graft must heal and the swelling of the overlying skin must subside and whether there is or there is not warping has yet to be determined. Other issues like nostril asymmetry also take time to determine. Before you seek a solution, let the nose settle first. You or your surgeon do not yet know what the final result will be.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyrhinoplasty.com

+1

Rib cartilage is classic for warping over time. Revision cases are very difficult and it is very hard for me to tell from your pictures what is going on. Having never seen your preoperative pictures it is hard to say if your nostrils were asymmetric to begin with or if this is a result of the surgeries you have had. You want to make sure to go see your surgeon so they can help guide you on this one.

Rib grafts for nasal reconstruction

+1

Rib grafts are commonly used when alot of cartilage is needed especially in dorsal augmentation.  They can warp.  It is best to see your surgeon to be evaluated.  Good luck.

Rib graft complications.

+1

Rib graft complications unfortunately seem to be common due to  warping and position change. For 35 years I have used septal and ear cartilage and do not like rib for the reasons you mentioned. Other surgeons have different opinions. See a very experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon to evaluate your nose!

Rib cartilage for rhinoplasty

+1

Out of all the materials we use to repair a saddle nose or one damaged after an implant, rib grafts do have the greatest tendency to warp. This is just the nature of the material and sometime a trim or adjustment will perfect a result. Let your surgeon have a look.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/rhinoplasty

Rib Cartilage

+1

Hi,

Its very difficult to assess your nose from the pics you sent. If you have a red mark at the tip of your nose, this could be part of the cartilage graft or something else. I would ask your surgeon about this.

Dr.S.

Web reference: http://rhinoplastysurgeonnewyork.com/rhinoplasty-surgery-complications.htm