Can Rhinoplasty Make my Nose Thinner?

I was wondering if surgery could make my nose thinner. I'm Asian and I have a pretty fine nose, but I wish my nostrils were smaller and closer together so that my nose was thinner. I like the look of Charlize Theron's nose, and the general proportions of her eyes to her nose. I don't want any changes to the bridge or the tip, just the width, as if I'm pinching my nose a little. Is there a surgery that will do this with minimal scarring and a natural look?

Rhinoplasty in the Asian nose.

+2

I would need to see photos to give you a proper answer.  Otherwise. It would be a guess as to what you need. 

Can Rhinoplasty Make my Nose Thinner?

+2

You would need a consultation to say for sure or, at a minimum, to post a photo. However, the lower portion of the nose can be narrowed. For people of Asian descent this is often combined with augmentation of the bridge and some refinement of the nasal tip but this is just an observation of what many other patients request. If all you want is narrowing of the base of the nose then that can be performed by itself. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty to make a "thin" nose ...

+1

The tip cartilages are the key to a well defined tip with a pleasing shape.  The access to these structures can either be through an open or closed approach.  In both cases, the incisions are well hidden if properly performed.

William Franckle, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

A thinner tip and anose?

+1
  • When you see a rhinoplasty expert plastic surgeon, they can evaluate your nose to see if your request is possible.
  • Some tip suture and support techniques are effective at narrowing and defining the nose nicely.

Michael Suzman, MD

Nostril size

+1

I am going to assume that you have large nostrils and everything else is exactly as you have stated (for the sake of conversation and to make up for the lack of an image). Decrease in the nostril size, known as an alar base reduction, can be performed and give the appearance of a narrowed nose. However, if there are other factors at play, the aesthetic that you desire may need additional interventions.

Be healthy and be well,

James M. Ridgway, MD

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS

Asian nose and alar base

+1

Thinning the nose may be two different things,.  Thinning the soft tissue is difficult. But it sounds like you just want to narrow the nostrils.  That would probably mean a base excision. It is best to go for a consultation. 

Can Rhinoplasty Make my Nose Thinner?

+1

Aesthetically speaking, and IMHO it should always be about the aesthetics of making one more attractive through Rhinoplasty...I'd have to see photos of your nose to comment on whether the nose should be made smaller with Rhinoplasty.  Can Rhinoplasty make your nose smaller...yes.  Should it be done?  I have no way of knowing without seeing what you nose looks like.  

Rhinoplasty can make a nose thinner

+1
Rhinoplasty can make a nose thinner without visible scars. See a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.