Rhinoplasty - Not Symmetrical 9 Months Post-Op

Hi there, I had Rhinoplasty over 9 months ago now and my nose is somewhat crooked. On one side, my nose looks great, on the other side the nostril is either upturned too much or too big and tip is too big. Also in the middle part it seems crooked and looking straight on it looks crooked. What happened? I spoke with surgeon and he says its fine but I disagree. Any advise would be greaty appreciated. Thanks!

Nasal Asymmetry 9 Months after Rhinoplasty

+2

You do have some nasal asymmetry or deviation 9 months after your rhinoplasty. I recommend you see a surgeon experienced in revision rhinoplasty, although it may be too soon to have any additional surgery if that is necessary.

Special lighthing to see crooked nose: is it worth revising?

+2

I understand your concerns and I do see some increased fullness on your left side of the nose. Any surgery involves risk and at this point, you could consider another surgery but there is no guarantee that it will "nail it". The surgery could also overcorrect or undercorrect your problem and does involve some risk. I would really sit down and assess your goals. IF you need special lighting ( in the picture) to illustrate the problem, it may not be worth the risk.

Asymmetry after rhinoplasty

+2

Your picture really doesn't help much, since your concerns don't show up enough for us to see them.  It might help to add a closer view, with normal lighting.

In any case, mild asymmetries can clearly occur after surgery, and what you see at 9 mos will likely still bother you at a year.  Classic teaching tells us that patients should wait that first full year to let all contours heal, so you do have the option to wait.  However, I would suggest you get a second opinion from a rhinoplasty doc, since you can get info at this point even if you are still waiting.  Or you could consider two forms of revision:  one with fillers, one with additional degrees of surgery. 

If you can't have a valid discussion with your primary surgeon about your concerns, than you have every right to seek another opinion. 

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sooner Rhinoplasty

+1

Well a couple of things.  The picture is too dark.  I would send a better picture if you could.  Secondly according to the laws of rhinoplasty after year results are final.  I really do not see the nostril issue you reference again the bridge of the nose has too many shadows to make an intelligent comment.

Dr. ES 

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Nose Not Symmetrical 9 Months After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Suzyq,

I would leave your nasal tip alone for some additional time.  It is easy enough for a rhinoplasty specialist to use a little injectable filler in the proper place (left side) and amount (very little) to give your nose a straighter appearance on frontal view.  With time, if your tip does not improve, then a revision may be in order.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P 

Michael A. Persky, MD

Asymmetrical nose after rhinoplasty.

+1

Get a second opinion from an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who can examine your nose and give you an informed opinion.

Rhinoplasty Results

+1

It is very difficult to tell from the photos you have but at this point I would sit tight for another 3 months.  Your results will probably not change much between now and then but if you were considering doing anything about it, a wise surgeon would want you to wait until you are atleast 1 year out from your surgery.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD