2 Months Post-Op, Columella Looks Strange, Implant Shows When Smiling. Will This Improve?

I got my closed rhinoplasty done 2 months ago.The doctor used the implant.I have a very narrow philtrum,so the ending of the implant is now showing when i smile,also due to this my columella looks hanging columella and i look so bad smiling and it sometimes hurt too. i know feeling the strecth is normal but what about the ending of the implant at the columella?It almost hides my philtrum when i smile.Will this go away after months of healing of stitches and will my columella look norml

Columellar implant

+1

I'm not a big fan of columellar implants whether they are cartilage or silicone. They often appear bulky and in your case is causing the columella to hang too much. This is a pretty simple fix at a secondary rhinoplasty. One of the key issues that needs to be addressed is whether the implant is exposed or is possibly at risk of eroding through its soft tissue coverage. If this is the case, it may need to be removed sooner.

Columella and appearance

+1

I think that the columella graft or implant is either too large or not secured properly leaving a protrusion at the inferior aspect.  I do not think that it will improve with time, but it is too early to have a revision.

Columella

+1

You should wiat a little longer but, it is unlikely that things will change. You will probably need to have the implant removed and or replaced.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Columella Looks Strange

+1

The implant, is too large. Even when swelling subsides, this problem will not be improved. The implant needs to be made smaller or removed. Before pictures and material of the implant would be helpful.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon