Rhinoplasty Done 1 and Half Month Ago. Swelling or Progress?

Hi, Its been 1 and a half month that i had my nose job. I had a wide nose. My nasal bridge were fractured to make my nose narrower and there was work on my nasal tip. All went well. After 7 days the splint was removed. My nose really looked sharp and narrower. But after 3-4 hours my nose didnt look like that. It became wider, if we compare to the conditions just after the splint removal. Doctor said that there is some swelling that will heal in 3-4 weeks. Still I don't see any progress.

Anxiety associated with swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Rhinoplasty Patient from Bangalore ,
This is a very common concern and anxiety that is experienced by rhinoplasty patients. Generally, rhinoplasty surgeons leave a cast on the nose for one week after surgery. This helps with swelling, but shortly after removing the cast, the nose usually swells. By the end of the second week, the nose is starting to take some of its permanent shape, but is difficult for patients to see what it will look like long-term. By the end of the 6th week, it is really getting close to the final look. Talk to your surgeon for more guidance. Good luck and good healing.

Swelling is normal after Rhinoplasty...

+1

After your cast is removed it is normal for your nose to swell a little more.  When you have the cast on your nose it is molded to it, so when it's time for the cast to come off,  your nose can swell from the lack of pressure given by the cast.  Most swelling goes away in a couple of weeks, but some can last for a few months.  You should be able to see your final result within a year of your rhinoplasty.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty can take up to 6 months to completely heal.

+1

It is very early after surgery and the nose is very swollen. Give it at least 6 months for the results to settle. Make sure you go to all of your post op visits and share your concerns with your surgeon.

Rhinoplasty - swollen

+1

Everything you are experiencing is part of the normal healing process after rhinoplasty.  I always tell patients to expect the skin to look weird, the nose to look swollen, and things to keep changing over the next few months.  It really takes 3-4 months to start to see the final result.  Don't worry!  Be patient.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

Nasal swelling after splint removal.

+1

What you are describing is a very normal occurrence after removal of the  nasal splint. The way your nose looked just after the splint was removed is a good indication of what it will look like once the swelling subsides.
The splint was creating some compression of the area just an ace bandage keeps an ankle from swelling. However, once the ace wrap is removed the swelling returns. Be patient it takes time for all the swelling to resolve from the nose, up to a year or more.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Post rhinoplasty result

+1

If you liked the way that you nose looked just after the splint was removed, then there is a good chance that you will be happy when the swelling resolves.  Give it some time.

Swelling after Rhinoplasty takes time to go away...a LONG time!

+1

From what you describe, this is probably the expected amount of swelling after rhinoplasty.  The edema after an external or open rhinoplasty can take up to 12-18 months to resolve.  I would recommend patience.  If you were still dissatisfied after 18 months, I would consider being evaluated at that time.

Good Luck!

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty: Common Questions

+1
At this time it is normal for patients to still have considerable swelling around the nose, especially at the nasal tip region. It is also common for swelling to fill the surrounding tissues after splint removal. The nasal tip is the last place for swelling to be reduced. However, it is also important to keep your surgeon informed of your healing state as he/she will be able to guide you the best in your recovery.

Be healthy and be well,
James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS