Mucus Build-Up 1 Month Post-op Rhinoplasty

I had rhinoplasty a month ago and during the second week i noticed that i had difficulty breathing in the night and in the morning when i woke up. when i decided to look in my nose i saw a build up of dry mucous...i used a tweezers and out of each nostril pulled out something that was about an inch long(mucous some but not all dried up)...now its like everyday i have to go in my nose to pull out mucous(not as much as i pulled out the first time) so i can breath....is this normal???

Breathing and mucous after rhinoplasty

+2

The lining inside the nose can take six to eight weeks to recover before a comfortable airway is present. If mucous builds up at night you are probably mouth breathing and congested. After one month you can safely blow your nose. Use saline spray or nasal saline gel during the day and before bed. A cold air humidifier at night will help moisten the airway and speed recovery. Also let you surgeon have a look to make sure the airway is as expected.

peterejohnsonmd

+1

The answer is Yes.  Absolutely normal.  The reality of altering the manner in which you breathe or the position of your nasal cartilage for either internal work (septoplasty) or external (rhinoplasty) is that, as surgeons, we've completely altered the native airflow pattern and mucosal sensitivity of your nose in the immediate postoperative periord.  In patient's who experience crusting and irritation in the nose, I recommend using both a saline rinse option (Neil-Med sinus rinse, OTC at Walgreen's etc) and a small amount of Aquaphor ointment to the inside of the nose twice daily.  You will notice a decrease in the crusting and mucous in short order (2-3 weeks).  This is a generic recommendation that benefits patient's considerably in the postop window.  Good luck!  Dr. Shep

Shepherd G. Pryor, MD
Scottsdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mucus after rhinoplasty

+1

Increased mucus secretions and associated crusting are common following nasal surgery.  Generally, they can be cleared by gentle blowing which I allow patients to begin 3 weeks after rhinoplasy.  Saline spray may help to loosen crusting as well.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Mucous 1 Month after Rhinoplasty

+1

It is not abnomal to have increased nasal secretions after rhinoplasty. I tell my patients they can blow their noses 3-4 weeks after surgery.  I suggest you see your surgeon for an examination so he/she can make recommendations for treatment - it will be temporary.

Is increased mucous build up normal after rhinoplasty

+1

It is quite common for patients to experience increased nasal drainage after their rhinoplasty. Surgery can lead to temporary inflammation of the internal nasal lining. When the nose is inflamed it will produce more mucus than normal.

I find that having patients do twice daily saline lavages helps quite a bit with this. If you haven't seen your surgeon since you noticed this drainage issue I'd recommend having a checkup to make sure nothing else is going on.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Mucous post op following Rhinoplasty

+1

Based on what you are describing this sounds quite normal but I would recommend that you see your surgeon just to make sure there is nothing else causing a difficulty in your breathing.

We usually recommend a mild saline spray to keep the nasal mucosa inside the nose soft and supple which will eliminate the dry irritated mucosa lining that occurs with most if not all rhinoplasty patients.  In California it is called "Ocean Spray" and comes in a little white bottle with an bright orange top.  Before trying this though please consult with your surgeon.

Good Luck

Kimberly Henry M.D.  San Francisco CA

Kimberly A. Henry, MD
Greenbrae Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty post-op

+1

I usually let my patients blow their nose by about 3-4 weeks.  Mucoous build-up can be from many things. You may want to see your doctro to be checked out.

+1

Best to see your chosen rhinoplasty surgeon ASAP to examine you and discuss this issue. From MIAMI DR. Darryl j. Blinski