Rhinoplasty for Minor Dorsal Hump Correction?

Hi, I'm considering a Rhinoplasty. However, I keep getting anxious that it would make my nose appear too small in comparison to the rest of my face, would this be true?

The main issues I have with my nose are a small dorsal hump and slight plunging tip and wide tip? All are quite minor, however, I feel really concious of them.

Goals in Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

Your concerns are common. None of us want a result that looks like a "nose job". It is important to sculpt a nose in proportion with other facial features. Select an experienced surgeon who has aesthetic tastes similar to yours.

Subtle Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Judey,

A subtle rhinoplasty should achieve your nasal cosmetic goals.  Make sure that your rhinoplasty surgeon understands what bothers you and what you want.

For more on the Subtle Rhinoplasty click on the Web reference listed below.

Be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Rhinoplasty results.

+1

Hi!

Almost certainly, the changes you want in your nose can be achieved, and your nose can be left so it looks natural on your face. You need an experienced plastic surgeon with a good eye.

My web site has links to the plastic surgery societies, where you can get names near you. And be sure to ask to see lots of before and after pictures.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Rhinoplasty Can Correct Minor Dorsal Hump and Other Problem Areas of The Nose

+1

The goal of any rhinoplasty is to produce a nose that looks natural and functions well. One of the most common reasons that patients seek rhinoplasty consultations is to learn about dorsal hump reduction.

A dorsal hump is comprised of bone and cartilage. To remove the hump, the rhinoplasty surgeon files down the bone and trims the cartilage to the appropriate height to give the profile the desired contour.

Sometimes, it is possible to correct one isolated problem -- such a a dorsal hump -- without having to change or disrupt other parts of the nose. More frequently, small adjustment need to be made to other parts of the nose to keep the nose proportional and in balance with the other facial features.

One of the most beneficial aspects of a rhinoplasty consultation is having your photographs morphed (computer simulation) to give you an idea of how your nose might look with various changes. Recently, 3D imaging has become available (see link below).

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

See a competent plastic surgeon

+1

You must consult with a well trained, experienced rhinoplastic surgeon. Talk to them - look at their work and have all of your questions answered to your satisfaction. We do make small changes that give you quite an improvement.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Rhinoplasty for minor dorsal hump correction? Rhinoplasty

+1

The answer depends on your expectations, communication between you and your doctor and his expertise.

You should be able to get a good result. Computer imaging can help with communication - your pictures are manipulated to demonstrate possible out comes. You can bring in pictures of noses that you like and dislike. Then it is up to your doctor to assess if your goals are realistic.

Michael Kulick, MD

The surgeon you choose is the most important decision

+1

The most important part of getting a good result from plastic surgery, is the surgeon that you choose. Techniques have improved along with improved anesthesia and improved instruments. What you have described sounds fairly straight forward but discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

I tell patients that my philosophy is that plastic surgery should "whisper and not scream." A well executed rhinoplasty will improve your appearance and will fit your face.

Darrick E. Antell, MD

Know what you are getting into

+1

Hi Judey,

Rhinoplasty for a dorsal hump can be performed by skilled nasal surgeons in a way that would not look too small for your face.

The key is to pick a surgeon with a lot of experience in rhinoplasty, and one that can show you computerized images of your proposed outcome. Although there is no guarantee that your surgical outcome will be exactly the same as your "digital" outcome, it does help to see waht the surgeon plans for you. It will also help you to get a feel for what the surgeon's aesthetic sense is, and if it matches with yours.

Behrooz Torkian, MD

See a rhinoplasty specialist.

+1

You should be able to have a better looking nose without it being too small or artificial looking--that is what makes a good surgeon! Pick an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who can show you patients he has operated on with similar noses to yours.