Rhinoplasty to Match One Side of the Nose to the Other?

I'm currently doing my research as I want to have a Rhinoplasty. I'm just wondering if its possible to make the right nasal bone more similar to the left as well as removal of a small dorsal hump as the left bone looks more aesthetically pleasing than the right?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

You need to go for a Rhinoplasty consultation

+1

The truth is without actually seeing your nose or very good pictures of it, no surgeon can truly tell you whether it will be more symmetric or not! With all cosmetic surgery, the goal is significant improvement and you cannot discuss improvement without knowing the starting point!

Now lets look a little deeper. 85% of people have significant facial asymmetry and most of them are totally unaware of it. The eyes are not always at the same level or height and the cheeks aren't the same width, and so on and so forth.

Lets dig even a little deeper. When you perform a rhinoplasty to make the nose smaller, you can make the structure weaker which then can become affected by years of healing and scar tissue maturation. In order to build a nose that has good structure and can withstand this uneven scar tissue healing forces, you have to add lots of structure and grafts. You may have heard of the great surgeon, Dr. Toriumi. He is a fantastic surgeon who builds very structurally sound noses but many women do not like the aesthetics of some of his noses due to the added structure and mass.

So its a complex decision and a complex surgery and you have to insist on an honest dialogue with your Rhinoplasty surgeon. To tell you, yes lets have you sign up for surgery is too easy. To have an honest dialogue takes time and effort. Your nose may become much much more symmetric. But it just depends on your starting point and the way the surgery is carried out and the way you heal.

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Symmetry

+2

It is difficult to see what you are talking about without photos, however, symmetry is always a goal in plastic surgery. Whether we are operating on the arm, thighs, breasts, eyes or whatever else, symmetry is a goal.

As far as rhinoplasty, it is often easier to obtain symmetry here than other parts of the body. So make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon and go over what your desires are.

Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.feplasticsurgery.com/orange-county-nose-surgery-rhinoplasty-newport-beach.php

Rhinoplasty for asymmetric nose

+1

Many people have an asymmetrical nose. Asymmetry can be due to a congenital reason or trauma. If there is a clear difference between your left and right profile, chances are the nose is asymmetrical and crooked. There can also be a fracturing of the upper lateral cartilages off the nasal bone. Removing a dorsal hump is straightforward and routine in rhinoplasty surgery. Once the hump is removed, the nasal bones will need to be narrowed, straightened, and re-aligned or the open route deformity is present once the hump is removed.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Rhinoplasty

+1

A good  Rhinoplasty surgeon  will take the entire nose into consideration to refine the contour and give a good aesthetically balanced nasal appearance and contour. Balance is important when the nose is viewed from every aspect.

Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculpting nasal bones with rhinoplasty

+1

There are many techniques we use to create better symmetry of the nasal bones: osteotomies (bone cuts), rasping, camouflage grafts, and even injectable fillers can all be used. Coordinating the bony parts of the nose with the soft-tissue components is also important and should be addressed by one's surgeon, too.

Perfect symmetry is usually impossible and not a realistic goal, but very good symmetry is often achievable for patients seeking rhinoplasty.

--DCP

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Surgery can improve the appearance of asymmetric nasal bones, and remove a hump.

+1

It is fairly common to have an edge of your nasal bone protrude more on one side giving an asymmetric appearance. Improving this along with removal of a dorsal hump are realistic goals that could be met by well performed Rhinoplasty Surgery.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Web reference: http://ericmjoseph.com/index.cfm/ProcedureNameID/90/PageID/4141

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Uneven nasal bones

+1

I generally advise my patients to expect less asymmetry rather than to look for perfect symmetry which rarely happens in nature and may not be a realistic goal. Your asymmetry can be improved surgically but for the best result it may require an onlay graft to camouflage any irregularity.

Rhinoplasty for an asymmetric nose

+1

An asymmetric nose, sometimes called a twisted nose is not at all uncommon.

The curve in the nose, or suggestion that one nasal bone is longer than the other, is a reflection of a shift in the septum of the nose which divides on side from another.

When the bridge is twisted or asymmetric we often correct the shape of the septum underneath to ensure that the nose will hold its new shape after rhinoplasty. The result should be a smooth and even curve from the brow to the nasal tip on each side.

Best of luck.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/rhinoplasty

Rhinoplasty and symmetry

+1

It is very difficult to impossible to make the two bones exactly the same. This is because they were not made the same nor are their attachments to the underlying bone extacly the same. Straighter yes, and closer to the same, yes, but never exact.

Symmetry in rhinoplasty is important

+1

When we evaluate patients for rhinoplasty we take photographs from 6 or more different angles. This is to demonstrate any asymmetries that need to and usually can be adressed.

One of the most common complaints I see from patients who come here for a consultation for revision rhinoplasty is that their nose is crooked. It might have been crooked before or as a consequence of surgery. Getting a nose to look straight is one of the more challenging aspects of rhinoplasty. However, straighter more attractive noses can certainly be achieved. I suggest you seek a rhinoplasty specialist for your crooked nose.

Web reference: http://www.mdface.com/proc_rhinoplasty.html