Rhinoplasty a Lost Cause?

My nose is big and as seen in the pictures, they're kind of awkward. In every picture I have taken, my nose turns out like the picture in the upper left hand corner, where my nostrils appear raised and skinny. I want to have it fixed and have a generally smaller nose. However, I was told by someone that it would be a lost cause as it would be impossible to correct because of how wide my nose is and how thick the skin is. So now I don't know what to believe. Any advice?

Not a lost cause

+1

Your nose can be made narrower both in the bridge and the tip area through time-tested rhinoplasty techniques, and a surgeon who has done many thousands of rhinoplasties. It is a good idea to have two to three consultations by experienced rhinoplasty surgeons to get an idea of what can be accomplished. Computer imaging is also helpful as a communication tool.

Nasal frustration

+1

You have received terrible advice! You do have "raised nostrils"; you do not have thick skin. A thorough analysis is necessary.

Your nose is challenging, requiring a good surgeon experienced in advanced rhinoplasty techniques. You can achieve a significant improvement. Do not give up hope in your quest for a better appearence.

All noses can be changed with Rhinoplasty. Your anatomy only defines how much.

+1

I am a little perplexed by the advice that you were given. Looking at your photos, you do not seem to have overly thick skin. The concern for the nostril height is also a relatively common issue in patients with your type of nasal anatomy.

You have what is classically defined as a tension nose with a pushin philtrum, where the septum near the tip and the philtrum (area below the central base of the nose) are both high and overdevelopped. Septal reduction and reduction of the bone below your tip will allow the tip to settle towards the face, reducing the height of the nose and allowing the nostrils to round out and be less narrow.

I would suggest another opinion from a Rhinoplasty specialist

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon