Rhinoplasty with Local Anesthesia 3 Months Before Wedding a Good Idea? (photo)

I have a scheduled rhinoplasty with local anesthesia October 15th and my wedding day is January 26th 2013. I have a small bump that has to be removed and my tip is slightly droopy when I smile. Overall my nose size is ok. My surgeon said it would take him approximately 1:15 min to complete and that after the cast if off after about 7-10 days I would be presentable and could go back to work but that there would still be a bit of swelling. Will it look picture OK in January??

You should be OK and look better than before surgery

+1

There are many patients seeking the rhinoplasty procedure before their big day-wedding day. Having the procedure done three months before your wedding will allow you some time to recover and feel good. You will definitely have no more bruising at this point, but you still might occasionally have some residual swelling. The healing process for the rhinoplasty takes up to one year. As far as local procedure I do offer t in my practice. All the rhinoplasty surgeries are done under sedation. It is important patient is comfortable  and pain free during the procedure and local anesthesia is not going to provide that king of comfort zone. You should discuss your options with  surgeon of your choice.

Undergoing rhinoplasty before your wedding

+1

It is acceptable to undergo a rhinoplasty 3 months prior to your wedding, however, just remember full healing will not have taken place.  Full healing on the nose is approximately 1 year.  Healing also depends on the type of skin and the techniques that are performed.  It is not advisable to undergo a rhinoplasty under local anesthesia for the patient’s safety and comfort.  Understand that there will be a 10-15% chance for revision, done 10 months to a year down the road if minor asymmetries exist after healing has taken place.

I generally like at least 5 to 6 months for a rhinoplasty to heal before a wedding

+1

Less than 6 months before your wedding, your nose will look better but still will have swelling, especially in the tip. I have an algorithm that i use for weddings: Rhinoplasty on the Bride or Facelift on the mother of the bride, usually not less than 5 months before the wedding. For the maid of honor, 2 to 3 months is OK and a month for a bridesmaid. This relates to how important the individual is in the photos. Noses usually look better even at a month but if anything goes wrong, this is a very important date.
As for anesthesia, local or general doesn't alter the healing time or amount of swelling.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

In my practice, Rhinoplasty Surgery is performed with general anesthetic.

+1

I read your concerns and reviewed your photo:

I prefer oro-tracheal, general anesthetic for all of my rhinoplasty patients. The "breathing tube" has a baloon at the bottom that keeps secretions and blood out of your airway. Rhinoplasty surgery with local anesthetic is not an option in my practice.

Insofar as your nose is concerned, you should consult several reputable, experienced rhinoplasty surgeons. Your dorsal hump and droopy tip may be improved with well-performed nose job surgery.

3 months should be adequate time to recover for your wedding. There would still be a slight amount of nasal swelling, but this would likely be imperceptible.

Hope this helps, and all the best to you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon