Can I Have a Rhinoplasty if I Have Large Pores on my Nose?

Can I have a rhinoplasty if I have large pores on my nose? I have heard that large pores can effect the result of the surgery and some surgeons don't even recommend the surgery if you have big pores..

Rhinoplasty is possible despite the large pores in your nasal skin

+2

Rhinoplasty is possible despite the large pores in your nasal skin. I have not come across this concern before. If your large pores result from rhinophyma the treatment is aimed at your nasal skin rather than the structure underneath your nasal skin. If what you're describing is simply porous nasal skin this should not deter an experienced surgeon. From a cosmetic perspective, thick, heavy porous nasal skin can limit the cosmetic result that can be expected because all of the reshaping and refining that's performed underneath the skin is camouflaged by the very thick skin on top of that structure. To get an answer specific to your concerns, you would need an in office consultation with a plastic surgeon specializing in nasal surgery.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Skin Thickness and Rhinoplasty

+1

Large pores are usually seen in people with thicker skin. Having large pores is not a contraindication to surgery in and of itself. However, the thickness of your skin can affect the results of your procedure and an experienced Rhinoplasty surgeon will vary his technique based upon the thickness of the skin.

Jacob D. Steiger, MD
Boca Raton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Large Pores and Rhinoplasty

+1

Large pores should not hinder your Rhinoplasty procedure. Large pores can be indicative of thicker skin, which may, in some patients limit your end result. There are topical and clinical treatments that can be used in conjunction with your rhinoplasty procedure to reduce the appearance of large pores and help you achieve your desired end result. It is always best to come in for a consultation to address your aesthetic concerns.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Large skin pores and Rhinoplasty

+1

The size of skin pores does not have a significant effect on rhinoplasty. The skin thickness and fat below the skin may influence the final result in a Rhinoplasty.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Rhinoplasty is possible in patient with large "pores".

+1

There is no contraindication to a rhinoplasty with a patient that has large "pores".  The probable results of the procedure need to understood since the thick skin you refer to affects the final outcome.  Video imaging would be useful at the time of consulation.

Rhinoplasty skin changes

+1

Large pores should not by themselves deter you from undergoing rhinoplasty. The changes made with rhinoplasty are focused on the structure deep to the skin (such as the bone and cartilage).

Many people with large pores do have thicker skin than average, and it is important to understand that swelling may persist longer than average. There are many topical treatments such as (retinoic acid) that can help reduce the size of pores, and these may be of benefit before or after your surgery.

Dr. Jamil Asaria

FACE Cosmetic Surgery, Toronto, Canada

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty in Patient with Large Skin Pores

+1

Large skin pores will not impact your rhinoplasty result unless you have thick skin which can affect  the length of healing and the final result. It is common to have skin irritation and eruptions after a rhinoplasty, so we have patients like you see our aesthetician in the office before surgery.

Skin Pore Size and Rhinoplasty

+1

The size of your skin pores has no adverse effect on having a rhinoplasty. That is a concern I have never heard before nor would it make any biologic sense. Large pores suggest that one's skin is thicker, however, and this will affect how refined the results of a rhinoplasty will appear and how much and long swelling may persist after surgery.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Rhinoplasty and Large Pores of the nose

+1

You are perfectly fine to have a rhinoplasty, even if you have large pores of the skin of the nose. The pores are not likely to get smaller as a result of the rhinoplasty and occasionally may become more noticeable as the skin heals. There are other options, such as laser resurfacing for reducing nasal skin pore size. However, the rhinoplasty will improve the shape of your nose. 

Ramin Behmand, MD