Keloid-prone Patient Still a Candidate for Rhinoplasty?

I have received great advice from doctors in regards to a Rhinoplasty/alar cinch procedure. However, I tend to develop keloid. Am I a good candidate for a Rhinoplasty? What is the best keloid treatment out there, in case it occurs after Rhinoplasty? I just had my keloid burned with liquid nitrogen, a painful experience. Thank you for the information you can provide me with.

Keloids Following Rhinoplasty

+2

Keloids are very rare following rhinoplasty. In 32 years I have never seen it. If I was in your position I would be more concerned about selecting a surgeon who is experienced in operating on noses like yours because of your specific racial anatomic characterisics.

Risk of keloid after rhinoplasty

+2

Your concern regarding keloid after rhinoplasty is a common concern among patients of color. You should be comforted by the fact that keloids are exceedingly uncommon on the central face and nose. I have performed rhinoplasty on numerous Black and Asian patients (keloid prone skin) without ever encountering a keloid. Just be sure to find a surgeon who is comfortable with rhinoplasty in patients of color as there are numerous unique considerations related to this procedure.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Keloids are rare

+1

The general rule of thumb for keloids (which are defined as a scars that grows beyond the natural boundaries of the original scar) is that they form on the deltoid region, sternum (chest), and earlobes. Keloids are histologically different from normal scars and tend to form is patients with greater pigmentation.

I can see that you have pierced ears without evidence of keloid formation. Therefore, your chance of forming a keloid as a result of rhinoplasty is extremely rare. In fact, I have never seen a keloid as a result of rhinoplasty.

I would encourage you to discuss your specific concerns about your nose with a surgeon experienced in rhinoplasty.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon