Juvederm Under Eyes After Rhinoplasty?

I had Rhinoplasty a week ago and right now there is minor swelling under my eyes, as well as minor bruising that is yellowish in color. I wanted to get my under eyes injected with Juvederm as well as cheekbone enhancements, but will it be dangerous to get those done 2 weeks after Rhinoplasty? When is it safe?

Don't do Juvederm under eyes yet

+2

You should not have anything injected under your eyes until all of the swelling and bruising from the rhinoplasty resolves. The swelling will obscure the area and make it difficult for injection. You will increase the chances of getting a bad result from the injection if you do it now.

Wait until the swelling goes away and then get it injected.

Juvederm in the tear trough after rhinoplasty

+1

Once the swelling has entirely come down from the rhinoplasty (possibly 2-4 weeks), then a filler under the eyes or into the cheek areas would be safe and effective if done by an experienced physician like a dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm after rhinoplasty

+1

I would recommend waiting at least 6 weeks or al least until the bruising and swelling is gone.  This will allow the surgeon injecting the Juvederm to assess your skin without added swelling from the rhinoplasty.  Also, it may reduce your risk of infection by waiting.  Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Wait 3 months after Rhinoplasty for Juvederm under eyes

+1

Juvederm under the eyes is a great way to treat that deep crease that people get in that area ("tear trough"). However, due to your swelling in the area, now is definitely not the time to have another procedure. Wait a good 3 months after your rhinoplasty before you proceed with another treatment (provided all is well). I'm sure your surgeon will want you to wait a while longer as well. Good luck!

Elan B. Singer, MD

Juvederm under eyes soon after Rhinoplasty can cause permanent discoloration

+1

Nothing should be injected around the eyes so soon after Rhinoplasty--the bones have been cut very near the lower eye area and healing will take several months.

To inject now when bleeding has occurred in this area substanially increases your risk of permanent discoloration-a problem which can occur woithout any injection when blood pigment fails to be completely resorbed in this area after Rhinoplasty.

Injecting soft tissue fillers such as Juvederm, Radiesse, Perlane, Restylane, Evolence and others beneath the eyes has become very popular and some very excellent plastic surgeons claim good results.

However, there are potential complications that I have seen and which you need to be aware of.

The lower eyelid skin is very thin and I have seen patients who have had visible grey lumps beneath their eyes caused by the filler injection. I have also seen permanent discoloration beneath the eyes caused by residual blood pigment in the tissues caused by bleeding that occurs during the injection.

The worst problem that I have seen is malposition of the filler. I have seen long term results in which the filler has migrated below the depression it was intended to fill creating a fullness that actually makes the depression that it was intended to correct look worse. this particular patient had their filler injection by one of the leading experts in the country.

My personal recommendation to correct dark circles under the eyes, hollow eyes and depressions beneath the eyes is on open composite fat graft placed through a small laser incision on the inside of the lower eyelid-thus no visible scar. You can read more about this technique in the reference below. You can also see a before and after picture below:

See before and after photos of fat grafting and arcus release.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Wait for 3 - 6 months after surgery

+1

You are experining normal post operative swelling. Now is definately not the time to be using juvederm in the lower eyelid or tear trough zone. Let your swelling subside over the next 3 - 6 months then decide if juvederm is the appropriate treatment for your problem. It is very likely that you will see improvement over the next 3 months.

Wait at least 2 months.

+1

Hi!

The anatomy is distorted by swelling following your rhinoplasty, and you would not get the ideal contour from filler injections. Wait until the swelling is down; 2 months should be enough.

Also, in New York we use Restylane under the eyes. This is a tricky area, and you want the most forgiving material.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Juvederm under eyes after Rhinoplasty?

+1

Hi Flimsy,

Wait a few more weeks for your nasal swelling to diminish before treating yourself with filler to your lower eye lid hollows.

I would strongly recommend having only Restylane in the delicate eye lid hollow area as occasionally Juvederm has a "mind of it's own" and can demonstrate excessive swelling.

Enjoy your new nose and be well. See you in LA

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Wait for all the swelling to go away

+1

It is imperative that you wait for all the swelling to go away and the tissues to settle before attempting any injections.  If you had injections now, in a few weeks when all the swelling is gone, it will be like the tide going out and revealing all the rocks below.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Avoid a moving target

+1
The role of the filler is to create an aesthetic contour. Swelling in the area alters the contours and a beautiful correction now will most likely reveal contour irregularities when the swelling resolves.
Swelling which is obvious to you and your friends last 2 weeks. Surgical swelling in Rhinoplasty persists for months. That being said, I would consider filler at your 4 week post operative visit. The degree of change by 1 month will be minimal and more related to the nasal skin envelope than the lower lid and cheek.
I hope you found this helpful.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon