Rhinoplasty in June/July - How Will It Affect my Summer?

I'm 18/f. I got kicked in the nose a few weeks ago, and my ENT said it is definitely broken.I'm getting a septoplasty/rhinoplasty done at the beginning of summer. My question is, how will the procedure affect my normal summer activities (swimming, tanning, etc)? Will it look normal by the time I go to college in September?

Recovery after Rhinoplasty (Nose Job)

+2

Recovery after rhinoplasty varies depending on each nose.  However, one can expect to feel discomfort the first night.  There is not significant pain at all, it's simply uncomfortable.  By day 3-4 postoperatively, you are back to the land of the living.  You are "social" at 8 days though.  Most patients can get back to working out at 2 weeks.  I recommend my patients avoid contact sports for 6-8 weeks.  Hope that helps.

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after Rhinoplasty in June/July

+2

I will give you my post -operative instructions after rhinoplasty but there will be minor variations depending on what is done during the operation and your surgeon's recommendations. I tell patients to avoid strenuous activities for 2-3 weeks; after that exertion is fine but nasal trauma should be avoided for another month. Regardless of skin type, your nose will be more sensitive to the sun for 6-8 weeks after surgery. You will be fine by the time you return to school. You are smart to have the surgery before starting a new chapter of your life with new friends and colleagues.

Rhinoplasty recovery

+2

All physical activities including sports must be avoided for the first month unitl the nasal bones have fused and healed.

Arian Mowlavi, MD
Laguna Beach Plastic Surgeon

Recovering from a septorhinoplasty

+2

With the scenario you describe, I would suggest you plan a summer that will not involve activities during which you might be struck in the nose. Swimming might be included since nose clips or masks are often used. Tanning is not a good idea at any time. You should be able to resume full activities in 6-12 weeks, probably well in time for college.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sun and rhino

+1
In general, your nose has less natural protection from the sun right after rhinoplasty. All the tissue was just elevated off of the internal structure of the nose, including the bone and cartilage, and blood vessels were coagulated in order to do this. There fore we weakened the nose's natural defense since we weakened its blood supply. This blood supply grows back , but it can take quite a bit of time to happen. In the first 6 weeks, your nose is less naturally resistant to UV rays and is more likely to burn and get discolored. Also, since your nose is mostly numb early on, its less likely that you are to notice the problem until its too late. I recommend you stay out of the sun as much as possible in the first 6 weeks after surgery. If you are in the sun for short periods of time, stay in the shade, and wear a big hat and a good sunblock. Do not wear sun glasses in the first 6 weeks, or any glasses for that matter, if osteotomies were performed, (breaking of the nasal bones). You can get your nose wet as soon as the splint comes off, but I would be careful about chlorinated pools early on until the incision is fully healed an more mature, as the chlorine can irritate the incision. The gym and anything that increases you blood pressure will increase the swelling of your nose and delay your healing time. I recommend 6 weeks for this as well. Sometimes it can take longer for your skin to mature, even a year and more in some cases. I suggest that you wear sun block for at least a year every day while out in the sun.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon