Age 15, Nasal Hump and Droopy Tip - Options and Cost?

I'm considering getting rhinoplasty. I am only 15 years old, but I am insecure about my nasal hump and when I smile, my tip droops down. I was wondering what age would be the best to have said surgery (as early as possible), what type of surgery would have the best results, and how much money a procedure like this would cost for me.

Age 15 and thinking about rhinoplasty

+1

My minimum age for female rhinoplasty patients is 15. However, these younger patients have to have parental consent and they need to be physically and emotionally mature enough to have the surgery. If any of those conditions are not met, I decline doing the surgery.

I suggest that a good starting point for you is to have a frank discussion with your parents regarding how you feel about yourself and your nose.

Michael Kim, MD

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty at age 15 is something for the parents to decide.

+1

One cannot assume responsiblity for surgery at age 15.  The parents have to give consent and with good reason.  Your nose has some objectional issues to you but it's not an ugly nose.  Maybe a rhinoplasty is the best thing for you, maybe the worst.  This will require a family discussion with the plastic surgeon. 

Teen Rhinoplasty

+1

Age 15 is the earliest age for Cosmetic Rhinoplasty for teenage girls. Parental consent is required. In your case, the nose still has an immature look. I would suggest waiting another year to allow for further development and then consulting. Fees vary based on anatomy, needs, medical factors, and surgeon experience. Dr. G.

Edward J. Gross, MD
Orlando Facial Plastic Surgeon

Teenage rhinoplasty - the ideal age is generally 16+ for girls

+1

For me, the cut off age for rhinoplasty is 16. This is primarily to ensure for the completion of growth to the facial features.  In your case, I'd recommend that you wait a  little bit longer. As for the surgery itself, judging from the photo, it looks as though you would benefit from an open approach since you will need some tip work done. Regarding total cost for rhinoplasty, it depends on your location, the experience/expertise of your surgeon and whether additional procedures are needed (e.g. fix a deviated septum) - in Albany NY, the price can range from approximately $5,500-$8,000.

William F. DeLuca Jr, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

15 is fine age for rhinoplasty.

+1

Having a rhinoplasty at 15 or 16 is fine for females.  You likely are nearly fully grown and your facial skeleton will not change much from now on.  From the single photo you submitted, reducing your nasal hump and lifting and refining your nasal tip and increasing its projection to give a more balanced appearance to your nose would be realistic goals for you.  Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon and have a detailed consultation about your wishes.  Fees range from 4,000 to 9,000 and will differ by location and surgeon.  

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Is Rhinoplasty a Good Choice for Teenager?

+1

For young female teenagers considering rhinoplasty, after age 16 is an ideal time to do it. By then facial growth and development is completed and there would be little changes to a facial bony structure. Reviewing your profile picture, reveals that you’re a good candidate for a hump reducing and tip refinement. You may want to consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon, or a plastic surgeon specializing in rhinoplasty. The cost depends on the surgeon’s experience and location of surgery. In Orange County and Southern California the cost of a rhinoplasty is between $6,000 to $ 8,000. Best of luck

Kevin Sadati, DO

15 is fine

+1

I do rhinoplasties al the time , 15 is fine for a girl - usualy boys wait till they are over 18. Costs are varied and depend on the doctors experience age fees and location. See a qualified plastic surgeon with your parents as you are too young to consent to surgery alone.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Teen with request for rhinoplasty

+1

15 is a bit young to have a rhinoplasty.  You want to wait until you are fully grown. For women usually by 16 for men usually by 18.  If you are under age you will need parental approval, but these things could be accomplished.

16 is an ideal age for rhinoplasty

+1

By age 16, your facial growth and development make this an ideal age for rhinoplasty. Reducing the hump on the nose and improving the projection and definition of the tip, especially when smiling are good goals to discuss when you are ready for a visit to a plastic surgeon. The cost will vary depending on the area in which you live. In the Chicago area the cost is about $5,500 to $6,500. The best procedure would be one which will address all the changes needed for the result for your nose.

peterejohnsonmd

Teenage Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Teen 123,

You are not alone, there are many teenagers like yourself who are insecure about their nose (it doesn't help that you are exposed to other teens who can be very mean at times).

The best time for a teen to have rhinoplasty is once their boney skeletal growth stops.  A rule of thumb to follow is once your shoe size remains stable for about a year, most likely your boney growth has slowed down enough to consider rhinoplasty.  For some this may be 15, others 16 or 17.  Make sure that you really want to change your nose, and then be sure to choose your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully.  Make sure that your surgeon understands clearly what you desire, and is confident that it can be achieved.

The cost will vary depending upon the geographic location and the experience and skill of your surgeon, anywhere from $4000 to $20,000.  I would advise staying away from either extreme of charges.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD