Will a Rhinoplasty Inevitably Need a Revision Down the Road?

I know breast augmentations require after x amount of years to be "redone" or have the implants replaced, and that the skin changes and all that. So my question is this: Will a rhinoplasty, much like a breast aug, after x amount of years *inevitably* need a revision? I know the nose grows as we age, so I imagine it may be personal preference to go back for a revision. But my concern is mainly that over the years, the nose may "break down" or collapse and start to look wonky.

Typically one will not need revision rhinoplasty unless there is an obstruction

+2

The revision rate for rhinoplasty is generally low and dependent on the surgeons expertise and the extent of surgery at the original rhinoplasty.  Although the nose cartilage continues to grow our entire life, it does so at a different rate for everyone.  Unlike breast surgery and reconstruction, the main force that affects a post rhinplasty nose is scarring under the surface, as opposed to gravity and changes in the skin with aging in the case of breast reconstruction.  In the hands of expert rhinoplasty surgeon, collapse of the nose or disfigurement is not going to be an issue.  In a majority of people who have undergone rhinoplasty minor changes can be seen over a 10 year period, but it is rare that these slight changes will require revision surgery.

Do All Rhinoplasties Eventually Need a Revision

+2

Excellent question. One of the best I have seen here. While your logic may sound reasonable. Rhinoplasty and breast augmentation are vastly different. The short answer is, Absolutely Not.  Every surgeon has a revision rate. The key for you is to find one you trust and believe in. If your surgeon is truly a rhinoplasty expert, then you decrease your risk of needing a revision greatly.  Also, it is usually clear by 12 months post-op whether a revision is necessary or not. However, noses can change after the one year point both from long term surgical healing  and from aging itself.  However, these subtle long term changes don't typically indicate the need for a revision.

Ashkan Ghavami, MD

If rhinoplasty is done correctly, revision surgery is highly unlikely.

+2

If rhinoplasty is done correctly, revision surgery is highly unlikely.  That is why having your surgery performed by a competent rhinoplastic surgeon is critical.  Collapse of the nose is not inevitable if the structural integrity of the nose is preserved or recreated.  Warmest regards.

Dr. Pippin

Gregory Pippin, MD
Metairie Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will revision be needed after rhinoplasty

+1

A properly performed rhinoplasty should never need a revision even though there are changes with aging. If there is a need then that becomes evidetn within the first year after surgery and should be less than 5 %.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will a Rhinoplasty Inevitably Need a Revision?

+1

It is not true that a rhinoplasty will inevitably require a revision.  With advanced techniques of open rhinoplasty and structural grafting the number of patients who need  revision after rhinoplasty are probably ~ 5 -10%

Sam Naficy, MD

Rhinoplasty revision is not inevitable.

+1

Rhinoplasty revision is not inevitable and should be under 1-2% of the surgeon's rhinoplasties. The nose changes with aging do not require revision.

+1

No, unlike Breast Augmentation with implants, Rhinoplasty has nothing (typically) to rupture or undergo contracture.  Therefore, just because you have a Rhinoplasty doesn't mean you'll have to have a revision some time later...but you might.  The nose heals they way it wants and despite a great Primary Rhinoplasty a small percent could be aesthetically improved with a revision Rhinoplasty at some later time.  

The odds can be further stacked, in your favor however, if the primary Rhinoplasty is performed by a Rhinoplasty Surgeon that understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive nose.  IMHO, that's the key!

Structural support is critical for long term nasal stability following rhinoplasty.

+1

Rhinoplasty surgery that emphasizes preservation of adequate bone and cartilage structure within the nasal vault, tip, nostrils, septum and base should result in many years of stability without the need for revision surgery.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS, FRCSC.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

If done right it maybe long lasting

+1

If the procedure was done right and no revisions were needed! Then you may not need a revision down the road.

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasaty and revisions

+1

If the rhinoplasty does not have a problem then a revisionis not necessary and the results can be life long.