Rhinoplasty - Inconsistent Swelling @ 5 1/2 Weeks Post OP?

Basically, I noticed a small bump on my nose about 3-4 weeks post op. When I pressed down on it gently/massaged it, it'd go away. Now.. the bump is shrinking daily. I hardly feel it anymore. Problem is, the swelling in my nose seems to be VERY inconsistent. When I use skincare products (and randomly), it'll seem a bit more swollen than usual. Sometimes when it swells, my nose appears a tiny bit droopy/'bump-ish'. If I press, it looks fine. Is this just temporary? When will it settle down?

Rhinoplasty final result usually visible at four months

+2

Hi.

Your story sounds totally normal and nothing to worry about.  You will probably have a very good result.

Inconsistent Swelling of the Nose After Rhinoplasty

+2

This is quite normal for rhinoplasty healing. A general guideline is that 70% of the swelling will subside around 2-4 months after surgery. This still leaves a good 30% that needs to go away over the following 12-15 months. 

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Inconsistent Swelling After Rhinoplasty

+1

What you are describing is extremely normal so early on in the recovery process following a rhinoplasty procedure. Over the course of the next twelve months, swelling may be expected. If you are concerned, please see your surgeon to discuss other possibilities.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+1

Pressure relieves the bump.  This is most likely swelling, and this will go away over the next 12 months.

Bumps four weeks after rhinoplasty

+1

This is WAY EARLY.  Leave your nose alone.  Trust the process and don't go crazy.  If, after SIX MONTHS, you still have issues, then discuss with your surgeon.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD

+1

Rhinoplasty will commonly have uneven swelling that can last several months to almost a year based on the thickness of the skin, whether it's a Revision Rhinoplasty or Primary and the amount of work that needs to be done during the Rhinoplasty (breaking the bones, placing cartilage grafts etc.).  If you're concerned you should discuss these issues with your Rhinoplasty Surgeon but at 5 1/2 weeks, the final result would not be evident IMHO.  Hope this helps.

Swelling of nose

+1

Swelling my be inconsistent and can take a year and sometimes longer to fully go away.  Give it more time.