Rhinoplasty Incision Scars (photos)

I had a septo-rhino done in october 2008.It was my second rhinoplasty. first was 15 years ago when I was 23.Both times were open rhinoplasty.I have now developed some scar on the left side of my nose.When I touch it,it feels bumpy soft.This highlights the inciscion and makes the incision scar look dark and makes me self conscious. my surgeon did scar revision(6 weeks ago but the bump is still there) and it still looks the same.can i do anything else.am currently using silicon gel,not helping.

Too Early

+2

Thank you for the photos. Given that your surgery was 6 weeks ago, it is too early to make any decisions about your scar. You would benefit from massaging the scar and avoid sunlight/UV light as well. Simple things, like vitamin E massages may help with the redness as well as the bump. Also discuss with your surgeon the use of Kenalog injections.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty scar

+2

It's a bit early to determine your scar revision result. It's also hard to comment much without examining your scar itself. I'll sometimes inject a small amount of dilute steroid into scars to help soften them in some cases.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Scar revision following rhinoplasty

+2

Thank you for the question and the photos. It is too early to determine the outcome of your scar revision. You may want to wait for 9-12 months before you see the full results. Silicone gel does help improve the scar. My advice for you is to communicate your concerns with your plastic surgeon.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Too early for another scar revision

+1
It is common for a scar to be more apparent after surgery and then to improve over time. Keep in mind that it takes about 12-18 months for scar tissue to mature. Over this time you will notice an improvement in the color, softening of the scar tissue, a change in the depth or thickness, and an overall improvement in the appearance. At 6 weeks following revision, it is far too early to tell. You should continue with silicone scar therapy for at least 3 months to get a benefit, and could continue longer to help as the scar continues matures. Also, make sure you use sun protection liberally.

Jamil Ahmad, MD