Im Having Rhinoplasty in 6 Days Ive Only Just Given Up Smoking Today What Should I Do?

I'm Having Rhinoplasty in 6 Days I've Only Just Given Up Smoking Today What Should I Do?

This will depend upon a number of factors including techniques to be used during rhinoplasty and number of cigarettes smoked per day prior to quitting.  Your surgeon can make a much better decision about this.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Smoking and rhinoplasty

I have my patients stop smoking at least 3-4 weeks before rhinoplasty surgery.  Smoking increases the risk of complications significantly.

Smoking and surgery

If it is an open rhinoplasty, I would recommend delaying the surgery.  Recommendations run from 2 to 4 weeks pre and postop. 

Quitting is good

teetee72,

If you have discussed smoking cessation with your surgeon it is important you let them know you have just quit.  In most cases, 6 days may be sufficiant, although in others it may not.  If you have had previous surgery and are undergoing an open procedure, I would be more likely to postpone your surgery.  Your surgeon should be the one to make the decision for you.

Colin Pero, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon