Are there other options beside implants for an Asian rhinoplasty?

What type of implants are successful? What are the possible side effects of a rhinoplasty implants? Is rhinoplasty implant surgery reversible?

Options for Asian rhinoplasty

+1

The best implants for Asian rhinoplasty are silastic implants.  This gives a moderate augmentation to the nasal bridge, which is often required for this type of ethnic nose surgery.  If only a very small amount of bridge augmentation is desired a simple one-layer piece of septal cartilage can be used to augment the nasal bridge.  The side effects of a silastic implant into the nose is; a very small percentage can become infected or rejected over time, they can shift, move, or migrate, but usually only within the first couple of weeks after the procedure.  We do not recommend any injectable fillers placed in the nose.  

Are there other options besides implants for Asian Rhinoplasty?

+1

Yes, there are but sadly, not good ones IMHO.  Nasal cartilage (septal) is too short to build up the entire nasal bridge length.  Conchal ear cartilage is curveed and when folded has a tendency to dissolve unevenly.  Rib cartilage, bone and banked irradiated cartilage all have the same tendency to dissolve unevenly which has been reported in the medical literature. 

That leaves man made implants and grafts, the safest of which IMO are the straight silastic dorsal grafts which are what I use to build up the nasal bridge in Asian and other type Rhinoplasty where it's required .  Hope this helps.

A variety of options will achieve your goal.

+1

Asian rhinoplasty is typically different than other rhinoplasties in that it usually involves building up the nose rather than making it smaller. Oftentimes because of simplicity, this is done with implants to the dorsum of the nose which have a fairly good safety record. Nevertheless, there are many surgeons who advocate using the patient’s own tissue because of increased safety. A variety of options exist for augmenting the nasal dorsum. These include septal cartilage, auricular (ear cartilage) and rib grafts. Of these, septal cartilage offers the advantage of being in the same surgical site as the rhinoplasty. In addition, patients undergoing rhinoplasty are often having their septum addressed either for improvement of breathing or for harvest of cartilage for other uses in the rhinoplasty procedure. With today’s rhinoplasty techniques, the options for improvement of all nasal types have increased.  

Mark Hamilton, MD
Greenwood Facial Plastic Surgeon

Implants and Rhinoplasty

+1

I avoid using artificial implants as I have seen many complications arise with their use.  The implant may result in asymmetry, rejection and/or infection. I prefer to use one's natural tissue, as it is more readily accepted by the body and yields a more natural result. The implant may be taken out down the road if necessary, but it is best to avoid this if you can. Thank you, and best of luck to you.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Nasal implants

+1

I am not a big fan of artificial nasal implants.  These are prone to infection and tissue compromise.  I try to use the patients own tissue i.e.  Nasal or ear cartilage wrapped in temporalis fascia for mild to moderate cases and rib cartilage for more severe deformities.  See a board certified plastic surgeon for your options.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Reversible

+1

Any implant can be taken out. Some are more difficult than others. Gortex is my favorite if ther is not enough cartilage. Silcone is also quite popular.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

Implants are commonly used to augment the Asian nasal bridge. These artificial materials , however, do carry the risk of infection or extrusion at any time in the future. For that reason your own cartilage grafts can also be used, especially for smaller augmentations. The risk of native cartilage extruding or getting infected is minimal.Cartilage grafts can become irregular, and add to the lenth of surgery, but are regarded as the safest long term augmentation material.

Ira D. Papel, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon