Best Rhinoplasty Implant for Me? (photo)

I'm a 17 year old guy and I hate my nose. It lacks definition and length. And it gets even wider when I smile. what do you think would be the best implant for me? the ear cartilage septal, silicone etc..? and how is it done? how long is the recovery time? btw my nose is really soft! I compare it to my friends and mines really squishy.

Providing definition to an Asian nose

+2

Due to thicker skin and softer cartilage, Asian noses generally do not have as much definition as caucasian noses. In order to improve things I prefer to build up the underlying nasal structure and, to the degree possible, thin out the soft tissue envelope. I almost never use synthetic implants and always attempt to use septal cartilage first. Depending on my specific needs I will then harvest cartilage from the ear or chest wall. There is not one specific type of graft to use in all Asian noses but the principle of creating a more robust structure to impart shape is universal. The stronger structure will resist the forces at play when you smile and thus your tip will not droop and the base not become as wide. when the tip projection is increased the base of the nose generally narrows and this may allow for you to get away without having to excise tissue from the nostrils  at the base.

Best Rhinoplasty Implant for Me?

+1

Septal and ear cartilage can be used to build up the dorsum.  An implant could be used as well.  It is important to know the positives and negatives of both approaches and make a joint decision with your plastic surgeon.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Asian male rhinoplasty

+1

The changes you ask for ie lengthen your nose to reduce direct view into the nostrils, define the bridge and tip, stabile the base against spreading when you smile and correcting nostril flare can all be done without using an implant. While implants can be useful in defining the bridge, they are not always the first choice since one has a life time risk associated with a foreign body in the nose. I have had to remove a nasal implant 25 years after it was placed. I prefer rib cartilage or septal cartilage when a little definition is all that is needed . Implant in the nasal tip is bad story . Lastly, your goals should be achieved without harsh and feminizing features . I have seen a few Asian males requesting revision surgery to correct changes made that made them completely loose their ethnic features.

Kofi Boahene, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and augmentation

+1

Depending upon how much augmentation is needed may require that you have rib cartilage or evena  graft. Best to be seen in person to be properly evaluated.

Asian rhinoplasty.

+1

In 35 years of doing rhinoplasty I think septal cartilage Is best since you almost never get infection which can happen more easily with silicone. Your tip needs more projection without rotation and your nostrils narrowed. 

Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

Your concerns are very common amongst Asian patients.  I prefer not to use implants as they can migrate, get infected, or be rejected by your body.  I always prefer to use tissue from your own body to build up your nose height and definition.  The flaring of your nostrils with smiling is common and can be narrowed.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD