Hump After Rhinoplasty Just Swelling?

I had a Rhinoplasty with hump removal and shortening of the tip 8 days ago. The doctor removed my cast on day six and immediately taped the bridge of my nose, and instructed me not to remove the tape for another 48-hours.

I removed the tape this morning and noticed in the following hours that I am developing a small hump in the area where my original hump was shaved down. This was not visible when my doctor removed my cast on day six.

Is this swelling in the area that will eventually go away?

Probably just swelling

+2

The swelling over the area in the hump is related to lymphatic edema over the original bump area. This should settle down as long as the bridge has been shaved appropriately and the hump has been removed. Just be patient since it has only been eight days since your rhinoplasty surgery, and it takes a full year for full healing to take effect.

Hump after Rhinoplasty should go away

+2

This is very common. If there was a lot of work done on this part of your nose, then there will be more swelling. It may take a while to go away, but it should be fine. Keep an eye on it, make sure to follow up with your surgeon and let him/her know of your progress.

John Diaz, MD

Yes.

+2

This is normal. It will take 6-12 months to go away. Relax and enjoy your new nose. If you are still worried, see your surgeon.

Hump after rhinoplasty.

+1

Dear Jessica,

What you're describing in your question and review likely represents swelling. I think it should resolve over the ensuing weeks. If it's bothersome 1 month after surgery, a Kenalog (steroid) injection may make it go away. 

I hope this helps, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hump after Rhinoplasty

+1

The hump may be a build up of fluid or blood.  If it recurred so soon after you removed the bandage, you should see your surgeon.  If it's just swelling, it may take up to a year for the swelling to resolve.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS