I Am Considering Having Rhinoplasty. However I Am Unsure As to What Results I Can Expect? (photo)

I am considering having rhinoplasty. I am currently researching doctors in the area to find which ones seem to do the best work. I would like to know what type of results I can expect in order to go in informed when I speak with them. I am not looking for a dramatic makeover, just some refining of the nostril area. Can I do this with just a tip plasty?

What to expect following rhinoplasty

+2

I would recommend a consult with a board certified rhinoplasty specialist. He or she will be able to evaluate your nose in person and provide you with advice. A good rhinoplasty surgeon will be able to create a nose that is aesthetically pleasing and enhances your own facial features without appearing overdone. Computer imaging software can be used in the office to give you an idea of how the final result of surgery may appear, and serves as a great communication tool between you and your prospective surgeon. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Rhinoplasty

+2

mjf1984, Your photos are helpful but never as good as an exam, however from what I can see I would rather perform a rhinoplasty than a tiplasty. I believe this would give you the best overall result. To get an idea of how your would look with a rhinoplasty imaging would help but remember anyone can manipulate an image; that doesn't make them a good rhinoplasty surgeon. Rhinoplasty surgery is a procedure that if you are going to be really good at it you need to perform it frequently and always be inquisitive about what and how you can improve your technique. Seek the opinion of 2-3 plastic surgeons that specialize in facials aesthetic surgery and preferably have a heavy dose of noses in their practice. They should average at least 2 per week in my book. Look at their photos and find one you feel comfortable with. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

To find a good rhinoplasty surgeon, look at their credentials, before and afters and make sure you are comfortable with them

+2

Rhinoplasty is a very personal procedure. The results should look natural and fit your face. The best compliment you could get after from an old friend is "you look great, did you change your hair, lose weight." and not, "had a nosejob?" Computer imaging and especially the new Vectra 3-D imaging is very helpful in seeing potential results. As long as the surgeon is honest with the imaging it can project realistic expectations. The imaging will also help determine if just a tip plasty would work or if you need more.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Unsure about what to expect from rhinoplasty

+2

Looking at your photos, it seems that all you need is some tip refinement: narrow the tip a little, decrease the width of the nostrils, and to correct the excess of columellar show (on the profile view). Most surgeons utilize computer imaging software which, I think, is an excellent tool to be used during rhinoplasty consultation.  It will allow you to see the proposed changes, ask questions, and hopefully find answers.  Good luck!

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

I Am Considering Having Rhinoplasty. However I Am Unsure As to What Results I Can Expect?

+1

The nasal tip can be refined in a very natural manner with a closed rhinoplasty approach.  Dorsal refinement could be considered as well.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tip-plasty rhinoplasty

+1

From your posted photos it appears that you can improve your nasal appearance by changing the tip and without having to alter other portions of your nose. Digital image simulation would be helpful in showing you what changes are possible. This is best done during a consultation with a rhinoplasty specialist. 

Grigoriy Mashkevich, MD

Grigoriy Mashkevich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

You need a consultation

+1

You need to see a rhinoplasty specialist to examine your nose.  He/she will be able to give you an idea of what you might expect.  This operation is a combination of art and architecture.  From what I see, you might want the tip of your nose made a bit thinner and the bump taken down some.  Here is a link that explains the types of maneuvers that are often performed on a nose. 

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Digital imaging for rhinoplasty

+1

You may want to seek out a rhinoplasty surgeon who does digital imaging.  This is where your photograph is manipulated on the computer to give you some idea of what you might expect after surgery.  I find it a good way to show patients what is realistic to expect.  You can see an example of a digital image compared to an actual result on my website.  See below. Good luck!

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Yes a tip-plasty might be exactly what you would need. Even with nice posited photos best to obtain IN PERSON consultations. 

Rhinoplasty vs Tip-plasty

+1

A tip-plasty will only address narrowing and refining the tip and tucking in the columella, whereas a full rhinoplasty will address changing the whole nose.  A full set of pictures/examination would be required.  Please see the link below for examples of rhinoplasty in our photo gallery