Will a Rhinoplasty Help Lift my Upper Lift So That my Teeth Show when I Smile ?

I want to have a rhinoplastty done because the tip of my nose and nostrils are very wide and it points down when I smile. Also my teeth barely show when I smile and I was wondering if I get a rhinoplasty and have the cumella raised up a little would it help to lift my upper lift or would I have to have a bullhorn lip lift done as a total different procedure ?

Lip lift, Rhinoplasty and lip

+1

A nose procedure can alter the lip, either dropping it when you smile or raising it somewhat if something like a graft is added to the columella. It really would depend on how your nose/lip looks and what you are trying to accomplish. 

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

+1

Rhinoplasty will raise the droopy nasal tip as well as reduce the opening size of the nostrils but will sadly have no effect whatsoever on the height of your upper lip.  During evaluation, of your nose, if the upper lip is truly low a lip lift would be your only real option.

Will Rhinoplasty Lift Upper Lip?

+1

It is unlikely that a rhinoplasty will lift your upper lip, but this will be evaluated during your consultation. Alternatives to change your lip length or position will be described. Your wide nostrils can be reduced and tip sagging when smiling can be decreased

Rhinoplasty help lift the lip so the teeth show when smiling.

+1

Rhinoplasty help lift the lip so the teeth show when smiling, is possible in some people. I would have to see your photos to give you an honest opinion.

Rhinoplasty and lip lift

+1
Without a photo, impossible to advise. Fortunately, you are right near our offices, in both Carlsbad and Encinitas. Personal consultation strongly recommended if you are seriously considering. Call 760-753-6464 to schedule... It's free!

Steve Laverson, MD

Rhinoplasty to lift upper lip?

+1

Rhinoplasty can improve a droopy tip but wouldn't expect to appreciably lift your upper lip.

A bullhorn lip lift can shorten your upper lip, though you have to be careful about the scars that result from this.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Rhinoplasty may improve smile but not correct poor teeth show

+1

Rhinoplasty will correct a nose that is bulbous or pointing down, resulting in a more pleasing tip shape and increased lip show when smiling, not the amount of teeth exposed.

The amount of teeth show during smile may be affected by:

1. Vertical lip excess
  2. Decreased height of the maxilla/mid-face
  3. Restriction in upper lip motion

A complete maxillofacial evaluation (with X rays) will clarify what contributes to less teeth show and define how to correct the problem

Mario Diana, MD
Plano Plastic Surgeon

Please send your pictures

+1

The correct answer is that we do not know without pictures or examination. In general the lip lift is not part of the rhinoplasty and you should not expect that your smile to change after rhinoplasty.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Upper Lip Options

+1

Alessandra,

If your nose points downward as you describe, a simple rhinoplasty may be all that you need to change the appearance and "show" more of your upper lip. Smiling can also make this seem more obvious as the smile pulls the cheeks upward. An upper lip lift is a surgery that can have issues with scarring as should be delayed, as a rhinoplasty can sometimes be enough to solve your problem. See a plastic surgeon with considerable experience in rhinoplasty as this is the most challenging operation we perform.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD, FACS

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Rhinoplasty and smile

+1

Hi. This is a very good question. It's hard to answer it completely since there are no photos for me to review. However, if the tip of your nose points downward and is quite wide, it can certainly affect your smile, especially the upper lip. It would be best to undergo the rhinoplasty first and see how you heal as this may be the only procedure you need to correct the problems you are describing. Most importantly, choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has a lot of experience with rhinoplasty. Your surgeon will be able to tell you what can be corrected by rhinoplasty and what cannot. Good luck!

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS