Rhinoplasty Help & Advice. Open or Closed What Gives Best Results?

When searching for a highly educated rhinoplasty Dr. in Toronto Canada is there a site to find only the best rhinoplasty surgeons in my surrounding area such as Toronto's top 3 .I see only a select few surgeons have chief or president in there education back round what exactly does this stand for and does it mean they are better in the field ? How accurate is photo imagery software from the actual results of after surgery. With meds can massaging the nose lightly help thin out scar tissue.

+1

Training at the best schools may be important.  Closed rhinoplasty tends to introduce fewer variables with regard to tip droop in particular.  Either approach can yield a good result.  It is always the surgeon and less the stated technique.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Open versus closed rhinoplasty

+1

The decision to perform open versus closed rhinoplasty is that this is only the approach to getting inside the nose.  Some  surgeons perform closed rhinoplasty while some performed only open rhinoplasty. Look for the surgeon who can give you the best results based on  your existing nose. Computer imaging is simply communication tool between the patient and the surgeon, not a guarantee of the result.

There are a number of ways to choose a good rhinoplasty surgeon

+1

Credentials are important. Often the most respected teachers and surgeons have served as officers and leaders in national plastic and facial plastic surgery societies. You should also look at before and afters. Reputable surgeons will post their own before and afters (with permission of course) on their websites and have photo books in their offices. I like computer imaging as well. Once you have done your homework, you should feel comfortable with your choice and go with the person who's taste and demeanor best suits your needs.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Rhinoplasty Advice & Imaging

+1

In choosing your surgeon, some of the best ways are often by peer to peer word of mouth, asking about the surgeon's training background, and asking physician for referrals. Online advertising alone can sometimes be misleading. Chief or president does not always mean that someone is a better rhinoplasty surgeon.

The open vs closed rhinoplasty approach is debated all the time. The truth is that, while open tip surgery does cause more swelling in the short term, the "best" approach depends on which surgeon is performing the rhinoplasty. Some surgeons will do both approaches but reserve one technique for certain cases.

Regarding photo imaging software, this is truly meant as a communication tool between the surgeon and the patient. If used correctly, the surgeon will only "morph" the nose to the extent of a surgical result that he / she knows can be achieved. Imaging software can do magic, but real surgery can have limitations in its outcome.

Regarding scar tissue, silicone gel can help soften and lighten scars postoperatively. Speak to your surgeon about this.

I hope that helps!

Jeremy White, MD

Jeremy B. White, MD
Aventura Plastic Surgeon