Rhinoplasty Healing - Will the Shape Change?

I just had rhinoplasty. I am worried that chewing/eating, laughing, talking will change the intended shape of my new nose. Could this potentially happen? Several times my boyfriend has made me laugh pretty hard and I could feel everything move in my nose. I don't know if it is the swelling etc. but i am worried. I still have my splint and stitches it but get them out tomorrow. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Post-Rhinoplasty Changes

It shouldn't but I urge yoiu to have this discussion with your surgeon and follow his/her post Rhinoplasty advice and instructions, not mine as I'm not the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that did your Rhinoplasty.

Shape change after rhinoplasty

What you have described (talking, chewing, laughing) should not affect your final result. Certainly, in this early post-operative period, it is important to avoid any trauma or pressure to the nose, but otherwise, you shouldn't worry. As long as you are following your surgeon's instructions, then you should be fine.

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Normal facial motion after a rhinoplasty will not cause a problem

During a rhinoplasty, the nasal bones are often broken, and with firm pressure with the fingers or another external force, the bones may easily move in the early days after the surgery.  Normal motion of the face, such as laughing,  would not move the bones, and you should not be concerned about that.

Rhinoplasty Healing

It is best to do everything in moderation. Talk to your surgeon for specific instructiions. The biggest concern is direct trauma to the nose.

Questions after rhinoplasty

All these are good questions that I am sure that your surgeon can answer during your post-op visit during suture removal. 

Changes in nasal shape after rhinoplasty

The most important thing is to follow your surgeon' advice and post operative wound care instructions. Remain in close contact with your surgeon.

What to expect after rhinoplasty

Dear Rhinoplasty Patient,
This is a very common concern and anxiety that is experienced by rhinoplasty patients. Laughing and normal facial activity will not influence the long term healing results. Generally, a cast is placed on the nose for one week after rhinoplasty. This helps with swelling, but shortly after removing the cast, the nose usually swells. By the end of the second week, the nose is starting to take some of its. Good luck and good healing.

Kevin Sadati, DO

Laughter is the best medicine

No, you won't affect anything by laughing.  The outside and inside of your nose are sensitive and that is why it feels like everything will move.  Everything that was done inside should be secured by sutures, etc. Laughing and keeping a positive attitude is advantageous to your recovery!

Jennifer Keagle, MD