Too Big and Hard Tip After Rhinoplasty

I do not like my Rhinoplasty results so far. This is so sad, depressing. My nose is too stiff. I have no feeling in the tip, and yet my doctor said that nose looks good! It looks weird and way too big in the tip area. What should I do? I am miserable right now. If the tip feels firm, is there a good chance that this is the shape it's going to be? If the swelling went away quickly everywhere else, how can I tell if my tip is still swollen or that is the final shape?

Tip can remain stiff for six months

+1

The stiffness of the tip is really dependent upon where the patient is in the healing process after the rhinoplasty procedure. Cartilage grafts and tip sculpting techniques can also lead to permanent stiffness in the tip, more than in the preoperative state. The hardness of the tip usually remains for upwards of six months before it finally starts to settle down and feel back to normal.

I would wait a minimum of 1 year

+1

You don't say how long ago your surgery took place. The tip of the nose always stays wide and hard for 6-12 months. If after that time the tip is still the same, ask your surgeon what are your options then. You may want a second opinion at that time.

Open tip Rhinoplasty

+1

Sounds like you have an open tip rhinoplasty. This is an excellent way to perform a nosejob, especially for those with difficult or big nasal tips. The only downsides are the ones you describe -- swelling, hardness, and numbness. On the good side, these problems resolve on there own with time. Relax!

Robert M. Freund, MD