Rhinoplasty for a Retracted Columella?

I had a septorhinoplasty done 3 weeks ago which involved the removal of a hump. My surgeon also performed tip refinement which I didn't ask for. He also used spreader grafts which I believe are making my nose appear wider. The problem is I now have a retracted columella and the alar look bulbous. Could this be due to over shortening of my septum? How can I correct a retracted columella with revision rhinoplasty?

Concerns 3 weeks following rhinoplasty.

+1

At 3 weeks following rhinoplasty, it is too early to make any definitive decisions about the final form and need for revision surgery.  At 3 months one can begin to make tentative decisions about the need for revision surgery and not until 1 year has passed should final choices be made.

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correcting a retracted columella

+1

Hello Lilly,

Thank you for the question.  There are retracted columellas and then there are the appearance of retracted columellas.  Both issues can be corrected by different means.  I would wait until all healing has been completed and swelling has subsided and then re-evaluate the need for any revision.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Rhinoplasty for a Retracted Columella?

+1

Dear Lilly,

thank you for your question.  A retracted columella can be corrected after all swelling is gone, by adding a strut at the base of the septum.  This strut is harvested from the deep septum.

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon