Rhinoplasty for Large Dorsal Hump and Projected Tip? (photo)

I've considering rhinoplasty for a few years but I'm wondering if my expectations are realistic and/or mostly achievable. There are three specific feature about my nose: (1) the large dorsal hump and (2) over-projected, slightly pointed tip. The left image shows my current nose, while the right image demonstrates what I'd like to achieve. I'd like a less prominent bridge and slightly-rounded less-projected tip (image on right). I'd appreciate any insight or recommendations. Thank you in advance!

Rhinoplasty for large dorsal hump and projected tip?

+1

Looking at your photos, your expectations appear realistic. The nasal hump can be reduced and the tip projection can be decreased. I would recommend an in-person consult with a board certified rhinoplasty specialist. They may use computer imaging software to morph a photo of your nose and give you an idea how the final result of surgery may appear. After establishing good communication, you will get a good idea of what is possible with a rhinoplasty.  I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Rhinoplasty goals are realistic

+1

I certainly feel that your expectations are realistic. To best accomplish these goals,, I suggest an open rhinoplasty vs. closed. An open approach will allow your surgeon to manipulate the nasal structure and tissues in a more precise manner and, therefore, encourages the best results.

When searching for a surgeon, be sure to interview those who are board-certified and can show you positive results (before/after photos) they've achieved for others with similar goals. Be sure to also ask for references from former patients. While very common, rhinoplasty is a complicated surgery and you stand to achieve the best results when you select a surgeon with a depth of experience in this area.

Good luck!

Ahmed Abdullah, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

De-projection of the Tip and Bridge Height Reduction Rhinoplasty

+1

Jon, as long as your skin is medium thickness (or thinner), this type of visual change can be considered realistic. When making the nose smaller by de-projecting the tip (bringing it closer to the face) and reducing the height of the bridge, you are relying on the skin shrink wrapping down to the new smaller size. If your skin is on the thicker side, it will be less inclined to do so and will risk looking poorly defined. I hope this helps in your ongoing decision making process.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Very reasonable rhinoplasty goals.

+1

From the photos, these seem like very realistic goals and are usually quite achievable with a rhinoplasty. When I consult with my patients for rhinoplasty, I specifically like to show them with computer imaging what I think is both realistically possible, fits with what they'd like, and we'll often find this way that there are other little subtle changes, too, that make a difference such as deepening the nasal spine, altering the curvature of the nostril margin, augmenting the radix, etc. These are things that the patient may not have realized, but those subtle touches can make all the difference. It really is a fun collaborative effort!

In your case, for example, a slightly deepened nasal spine (at the junction of the upper lip and nose) might look nice, too. If I think a chin implant would also enhance the overall profile, I'll simulate a with-and-without version, too.

Anyway, you seem to have a decent sense of what you'd like your nose to look like and that's an important start.

--DCP

Pearson Facial Plastic Surgery®

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty expectations

+1

Based on your photographs you would be a good candidate for a rhinoplasty and you should be able to accomplish your goals for shape and profile. 

Rhinoplasty for hump and tip.

+1

I think your goals appear realistic and that you ought to be able come very close if not completely achieve what you are looking for. Go for a few consults with experienced rhinoplasty surgeons and pursue it further. Good luck!

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty to improve tip and hump

+1

It is very possible to come close to achieving your goals. I never say 100% because one can not predict how the soft tissues will settle.

Rhinoplasty for overly projecting tip and large dorsal hump

+1

The computer imaging presented looks very realistic and achievable.  A dorsal hump reduction and reducing the overly projecting tip can all be performed by closed rhinoplasty techniques. Please see the link below for examples similar to your own nose  in our rhinoplasty photo gallery

Rhinoplasty with realistic expectations

+1

Yes, you are a very good candidate for a rhinoplasty and I would also recommend a chin implant based on your photos.  Consult with an experienced facial plastic surgeon and imaging in the office during the consult should help your confidence.

Carey Nease, MD
Chattanooga Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty expectations

+1

I feel your imaging is very realistic and natural in appearance.

My recommendation would be an open approach.  At the time of your consultation I would want to be imaged by the surgeon as well as see examples of their work.

Roger J. Friedman, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon