Rhinoplasty for Beak Like Nose with Somewhat Wide Nostrils? (photo)

My nose is akin to an eagle's beak and with somewhat wide nostrils. This is mostly due to me using a nose contraption called Nose Magic after looking for a supposed cheap alternative to rhinoplasty. I simply wanted to lift my nose droop a bit ,but instead, the thing added a couple problems and accentuated my old problem. So I've got a sharp nose tip that heavily droops downwards(especially when smiling) as well as being wide(again far more so while smiling.) Rhinoplasty situation fix?

Rhinoplasty for tip improvement

+2

Rhinoplasty can definitely improve all of your concerns. It is best to find someone who specializes in rhinoplasty. You need a thorough examination and evaluation of your nose to determine what is the best approach. 

Dr. Zoumalan

Rhinoplasty for droopy tip

+2

A rhinoplasty for a droopy tip involves adding cartilage grafts to strengthen the tip support(strut graft) which helps prevent the tip from drooping. Release of the depressor septi ligament will also help prevent the tip from drooping upon animation. An alar plasty will then narrow the nostril width.   All  of these procedures can be performed at the same time  under one anesthesia. Please see the link below for examples of noses similar to your own

Rhinoplasty for "Beak Nose"

+2

A rhinoplasty will improve the unwanted features you describe. I'm sorry you had an unfortunate experience using the device to save money; unfortunately, this frequently occurs. You're lucky that the correction will not be more difficult and expensive.

Rhinoplasty for Beak Like Nose with Somewhat Wide Nostrils?

+2

The tip can be elevated and the apparent width can be reduced in a closed rhinoplasty.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Rhinoplasty

+2

The nasal tip could be elevated a bit and if the nose appears wide it can be narrowed. Best to be seen in person.

Rhinoplasty for Beak Nose Deformity

+2

An open rhinoplasty that lifts, slightly shortens and provides support to your tip will completely change its appearance. The addition of nostril narrowing will also help the nostril width better match the newly shaped nasal tip. This type of procedure really will be the 'magic' solution to your nasal concerns.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

+2

Hi Jlee

An open rhinoplasty can fix your droopy tip by lifting it and supporting it using cartilage grafts taken from your septum. There is a muscle that connects your lip muscle to the nose and thats the reason your tip plunges when you smile. This can be fixed at the time of the Rhinoplasty. The wide nasal base can be surgically reduced as well. You need to consult with a Plastic Surgeon who has an interest in Rhinoplasty Surgery.

Hope this helps

Naveen Somia, MBBS, PhD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Drooping tip

+2

Rhinoplasty can lift, support and shape your tip and nostrils. Many patients present with similar problems and obtain long lasting improvement.  you need to see a surgeon with interest and rhinoplasty who is versatile at a variety  of techniques to adapt to your nose.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for droopy nose

+2

Dear jlee27,

• Lifting a droopy tip can be accomplished nicely with a rhinoplasty
  • It will also stay elevated when you smile
  • In addition, it will not continue to droop as you get older because the tip will be reinforced
  • You also have a slight arch in the nostril and this can be fixed with cartilage grafting during your rhinoplasty surgery
  • When you are ready, see a rhinoplasty specialist who can answer all of your questions and address your concerns

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Rhinoplasty For Drooping Tip and Wide Nostrils

+2

I have to say that until your question I had never heard of Nose Magic.  They make some bold claims on their website.  To answer your question though, yes a rhinoplasty can correct the drooping tip and widened nostrils.

The shape of the tip is determined by a central cartilage (the septum) and two pairs of cartilages called the upper laterals and the alars.  All of these combine to give your tip and nostrils their shape.

To change the shape of the tip, the existing cartilages are reshaped using sutures and trimmed if necessary to the appropriate size.  To correct weak or bent cartilages grafts can be taken from the septum, ear, or occasionally rib to improve the shape.

Your plastic surgeon can take standard photographs of your nose and show you where you deviate from normal.  The surgeon will then propose a plan to you of what should be changed.  I think you would be pleased with the result.  Good luck to you.

Al Rosenthal, MD