I Need a Rhinoplasty for African American Nose, What Do You Suggest?

I want to take my nostrils in, define my nose, don't want my nostrils showing and when I smile I don't want my nose to be wide...

Plastic Surgeon Specializing in Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+1

The results you desire are achievable for many African American patients. However, an in-person consultation is necessary to determine if this can be achieved for you personally. It is most important to first consult a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in rhinoplasty with ample experience working with a wide range of ethnicities. In African American rhinoplasty, patients generally have a wide tip, flat bridge, and flared nostrils. There are specific techniques to reduce the size of the nose, such as focusing on building the bridge of the nose to create a more defined appearance and a narrower base.

African American rhinoplasty

+1

African American rhinoplasty usually involves significant alarplasty to narrow wide nostrils and narrowing the tip through a combination of techniques that includes tip suturing and cartilage removal.  Any nasal hump can be removed and osteotomies will narrow the nasal bones so that the entire nose is narrower.  There will always be some type of widening effect upon animation, which is difficult to avoid.  The rhinoplasty procedure is performed under general anesthesia and takes 1-2 hours.

Rhinoplasty

+1

What you want is typical of what is usually performed in the African-American rhinoplasty.  Specifically you want the bones narrower and the nostrils reduced which are standard rhinoplasty techniques.  Consult with a few plastic surgeons and see how you like their work.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

African American rhinoplasty

+1

This type of rhinoplasty can be challenging and only an experienced surgeon who is very familiar with ethnic noses can achieve the ideal result. See as many before and after results prior to committing to surgery. 

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello

+1

You need to get a consultation from a Certified Plastic Surgeon to be able to get accurate advice on what your options are. What you are describing is definitely able to be done, in the right hands.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

African American Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Audrey,

-These are all very achievable results

-The most important thing will be managing expectations on what is realistic and what isn't

-Based on your goals, it looks like you want an improvement while keeping the features of your ethnicity

-A rhinoplasty surgeon should be able to help you out.

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

African American Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

The best way to approach the African American Nose is to define the bridge with a custom carved silastic implant (Slupimplant) to define, narrow and lengthen the bridge. Then the tip should be de-fatted and multiple cartilage implants from your septum to define the tip. Lastly, the alar base narrowing is performed. The links below describe in detail African American Rhinoplasty and also show many before and afters. You are also welcome to send your pictures to me for imaging.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

African-American Rhinoplasty

+1

There are very specific differences and techniques that are used in African-American rhinoplasty surgery. There are well known methods which are used to raise the height of the dorsum, improve tip projection with narrowing as well as nostril width reduction. There are debates about implants vs grafts to achieve some of these goals. There is also the important issue of the thickness of skin which ultimately influences the final result. See several plastic surgeons that are comfortable doing your type of nose and weigh and contrast their recommendations to help you decide which surgeon and rhinoplasty approach is best for you.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

African American Rhinoplasty

+1

The changes you desire are very common requests from Ethnic patients (African-American, Asian, Hispanic, etc.)  Please seek a consultation from a board certified specialist who can best assist you in achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD

African American rhinoplasty.

+1

African American rhinoplasty differs from other noses in that the skin is quite thick and needs more definition and narrowing of the bones and tip as well as the nostrils. See an experienced surgeon.