Can Rhinoplasty Fix a Snarly Smile?

Hello, When I smile, the junction between my nostril and cheek moves up, at the same time the tip of my nose droops. Will rhinoplasty alone fix this problem, or is there another procedure to make my smile less snarly. Thank you.

Will Rhinoplasty fix snarly smile

+2

Certainly, the drooping nasal tip can be minimized with a Rhinoplasty through tip strengthening and possibly tip rotation.  Nostril flare, when smiling, is more difficult to remove completely but can be reduced if necessary.

Rhinoplasty can fix a snarly smile

+2

Sometimes on smiling the lip can elevate and the tip of the nose can pull downward and give a snarly look that can be helped with rhinoplasty. The tension in the tip with smiling can be reduced by releasing the muscle which depresses the tip, and the tip support can be improved by strengthening the columella. Finally, slight rotation of the tip will stop the snarl look so you can smile confidently.

peterejohnsonmd

Snarly smile

+2

Rhinoplasty itself will not solve your problem. During the procedure the muscles at the base of the  nose need to be cut and a intra crureal strut is needed to help support the tip.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Rhinoplasty for the "snarly" smile.

+2
Rhinoplasty for the snarly smile invokes cutting the nasal tip depressors. It is normal for the nostrils to be elevated when you smile.

Rhinoplasty for "Snarly Smile"

+1

Rhinoplasty can help this problem but there are ither surgical maneuvers necessary. Most surgeons would work on the muscle attachment to the nasal spine and also lessen the projection and tension of the nose to alleviate the tendency to create a drooping effect when you smile. the nostril lift and elevation problem with your cheeky smile can be very hard to correct. 

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Affect of Rhinoplasty on "Snarly" Smile

+1

During rhinoplasty the depressor muscles can be cut to eliminate the undesireable tip droop. The nostrils normally move up when you smile - this cannot be changed.

Snarly smile

+1

Tip droop on smiling is a common rhinoplasty problem with underprojected ptotic tips, or tips under tension from the septum.  rhinoplasty will correct this.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon