Silicone for Improving Rhinoplasty Results?

I had a Rhinoplasty about 8 years ago and loved the results, as well as the physician who performed it.

About two years ago I fell on my nose, and now have a small bump that is only noticeable from the right side of my profile. My operating physician does not want to perform another surgery, and has injected a small amount of Silicone 1000 instead, which he assures me is safe, despite all that I have read. He claims it is medical grade and that he has used it for over thirty years.

He wants to inject more, in that I have not yet achieved my desired result. Other doctors have told me that silicone is risky, but all other fillers are only temporary and are quite expensive. Should I continue with the silicone treatments, get another Rhinoplasty, or opt for other long-lasting fillers?

Fillers and injectables for post-Rhinoplasty deformities

+2

While injectable fillers may be appropriate for treating localized deformities such as depressions or a low bridge, large volumes are required for an substantial change in nasal shape. Most of the products that have been on the market for the last several years are temporary. However silicone and some newer, longer-lasting fillers have become available. These can pose a problem when the result does not meet the patient's expectations.

Many rhinoplasty specialists are begining to see patients who come to their practice for revision surgery because they are displeased with the results of injectable fillers. The large volumes of these substances are changing the way the natural tissues appear, which can make revision surgery more difficult, and in some cases, impossible. Over time, these fillers have been noted to cause skin changes, such as redness, in some patients if they are injected too close to the surface of the skin. They may also give the nose a lumpy appearance.

Before proceeding with any additional injectables, you should seek an consultation with rhinoplasty surgeon with expertise in revision rhinoplasty.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Silicone for Rhinoplasty is a risky proposition

+2

This is one of those situations that there isn't an obvious or easy answer for. First, silicone is a risky option, in my opinion. I've used Artefill very successfully in the past in similar situations, but the parent company is now bankrupt making it an unsuitable answer either.

The reasons for its unsuitability are that I wouldn't want to mix fillers. If for some reason a second revision injection was necessary and there was no Artefill available you haven't left yourself many good options. Hopefully someone will pick up the Artefill line and it will remain an option for physicians and their patients.

Your best step, regardless of what happens to Artefill, is to seek an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon that is expert at revision rhinoplasty. Carefully analyzing your particular situation may produce better answers than we're able to come up with having not examined you or your nose.

Good luck!

Steve Byrd, MD

See a revision Rhinoplasty specialist

+2

The answer you seek is difficult to determine without seeing your nose. Usually I file the bump on that side under local anesthesia and avoid using temporary or silicone fillers. This is permanent and you skirt the issues you have mentioned with fillers. See a revision rhinoplasty specialist to resolve this for you.

Rhinoplasty

+1

Silicone has been used in the nose for a long period of time.  There are advantages and disadvantages to its use here.  With any procedure on the nose, discuss the risks and benefits with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon to help guide you in the process.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Not a good idea have silicone injected

+1

Silicone is not FDA-approved for injection anywhere in the face or human body. It is not a good idea to have silicone injected into this area. If there is a small area that needs augmentation and the patient does not wish to undergo a revision rhinoplasty surgery for cartilage grafting purposes, a small injection of Radiesse can be performed in the area.