I Had a Rhinoplasty a Few Days Ago, As Well As Graft Work Done. Will Sniffing with my Stuffy Nose Be a Bad Idea?

I had this surgery in order to fix some nasal valve collapse I was having. I still have my cast on and I am cleaning my nose with a q tip every day. Ear Cartilage was used to help fix my nasal valve collapse. I was wondering if sniffing with my stuffy nose repeatedly be a bad idea. I can't help it, but it is so stuffy I just need to sniff in and move the mucus back into my sinuses. Will this be harmful to what was done to my procedure?

+1

It is best to minimize pressure change and manipulation of the nose after rhinoplasty, but you should ask your surgeon.

Sniffing After A Rhinoplasty

+1

In general, early rhinoplasty patients should breathe from the mouths instead of their noses.  If you breathe too deeply, the inspiratory pressue can put undo strain on either your septum or your cartilage graft placement.  Be careful with placing q-tips inside your nose as well.  

For a clogged nose, early on we recommend the use of nasal saline as this can help clear up your nose.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon