Will a Rhinoplasty Help Me? (Male, Age 19)

Hi - I'm a 19 years old male. I've had several blows (punches) during my teenage years to my face which I feel have ruined my nose. One issue is that I have a hump on my nose. The next is that my nose is large, not straight and looks completely unsymmetrical. My nose bends to the left hand side and therefore, my face looks odd and inharmonious when viewed from the right. My question is can the actual nose direction be changed? I also seem to have a scoop of bone missing.

Traumatic Nasal Deformity

+3

Dubliftment in London -

Assuming your days of getting punched in the nose are history, you would benefit from nose surgery. The first step would be to consult with a qualified surgeon who will exam the inside and outside of your nose. The surgeon will then explain what the realistic benefits of nose surgery will be in your particular situation.

Good luck,

Tom Kaniff

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty to straighten and improve a crooked nose

+2

It appears that the nose has been fractured on multiple occasions and needs to be reset.  Any dorsal hump can also be removed at the same time.  It is also important to make sure that any deviated septum is corrected at the same time.  In a majority of cases where the nose has been broken on multiple occasions, the internal portion of the septum was usually crooked as well and will need to be addressed at the same time.  Any cosmetic surgery is billed directly to the patient while any medically related surgery is billed to the patient’s insurance out of medical necessity.  

Rhinoplasty, Beverly Hills Rhinoplasty, Nasal Refinement, Nose Job,Beverly Hills Rhinoplasty, Los Angeles Rhinoplasty

+2

From the photo, you submitted your nose appears to have a dorsal hump, be asymmetric and wide.  Yes, a Rhinoplasty to reduce the height, of the nose, would also narrow the nasal bones and make the nose more-straight. 

The cartilage just above the nasal tip should also be removed to allow the nasal tip to be the highest point of the nose on profile.  You could have all that accomplished with a closed Rhinoplasty, no packing, about 1 1/2 hour general anesthesia.  Cast on nose, require you not to fly for 1 week, so you'd have to stay for about 8 days.  You can learn more about the aesthetics of the nose in my new book on the aesthetics of beauty "What's Your Number...the palmer code."

Rhinoplasty for crooked nose and nasal hump

+2

A crooked nose can be fixed with rhinoplasty (nose job) to give a much straighter and improved appearance to the nose.  A nasal hump can also be addressed with rhinoplasty at the same time.  Seek an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for consultation.

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Well-performed Rhinoplasty Surgery may be utilized to remove your nose-hump, and correct the crooked appearance of your nose.

+2

I read your concerns and reviewed your photo. You appear to be a good candidate for Rhinoplasty Surgery after sufferring from nasal trauma. You should consult several reputable, certified rhinoplasty specialists before proceeding.

Regards from NJ:

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Will Help Correct Traumatic Deformity

+2

Definitely, an experienced surgeon will be able to improve the appearance of your nose.  It is also important that any functional problems (such as a deviated septum) be addressed at the same time so that you get the best result.  Of course, you want to be as sure as you can that your fighting days are behind you before you have your nose fixed!

James Bartels, MD
Manchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will a Rhinoplasty Help Me

+2

Every problem you describe can be corrected or improved with a rhinoplasty. I suggest you abandon physical confrontations before having corrective surgery.

Combined functional and cosmetic issue with the nose

+2

Your situation is not uncommon where there is deviation and history of nasal trauma contributing to  a functional problem combined with cosmetic concerns of size and dorsal bump. Both cosmetic and functional problems can be corrected at the same time by reconstructive septorhinoplasty. There are many experienced nasal surgeons that can address your breathing and apperance issues with a single well planned outpatient procedure.

Keep in mind that a well documented functional problem can help you with cost coverage of the procedure as well as anesthesia and hospital facility fees. Functional and trauma related issues are customarily covered by health insurance where as cosmetic issues are not. Cosmetic portion may cost you a little extra but a good portion of your anticipated surgery is reconstructive in nature and may be covered.

Julian Henley, MD
New Haven Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is rhinoplasty right for me?

+2

Hi,

It looks like you've given a lot of thought to your decision and you have more than 1 issue that a rhinoplasty could help.  It could not only improve the appearance, but help you breathe better as well.  I agree with the previous surgeons, find one that can help fix the breathing problems as well to ensure a satisfactory result.  If you have health insurance, they may be able to pay for the functional portions of the procedure.

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Repairing deviated nose with rhinoplasty

+2

A rhinoplasty can certainly change the external nasal deviation you're noticing. The other concerns such as hump on your bridge and large size can also be addressed.

Examination of the inside of your nose would be helpful to see if there is any septal deviation or other functional issues that impede your airflow and contribute to your external deviation.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD